Recurrence after RC beyond 3 years is very rare

12 years 4 months ago #40506 by mmc
So I had my three year follow up with my surgeon at University of Colorado Hospital on Tuesday.

We were talking about his staff and some issues I had with getting my tests scheduled this year. I was telling him that it's really important that his folks in the office understand how important some things are to cancer patients or those who used to be cancer patients. Things like, we can't celebrate a milestone of being cancer free for x number of years if people can't get our tests scheduled....

Anyway, he completely understood. Is going to talk to his folks about it again and gave me the card of one of the staff who always goes above and beyond. Also said next year they will send the fax of the orders to me in addition to my local hospital so I will both know the hospital has them (this year the cytology order got lost in the faxes somewhere) and I will have a copy to bring with me just in case.

During the conversation, I mentioned that someone on the site had mets after 5 years of being cancer free. He said it is really quite rare after an RC and it will typically come back within 2 or 3 years. So...I don't have the statistics on this one but it did make me feel better. I don't need to be nervous each year for my tests anymore and should just consider them keeping an eye on things.

If it happens to you, it doesn't really matter how "rare" it is, but until it does, it can save some consternation and concern to not be expecting it to be lurking in the wings somewhere...

Oh...by the way. I already knew the results of my CT and cytology because I get them sent to me at the same time they are sent to my doctor. I just think it is still good to check in with him every year. They did have me do a quick chest xray, which was fine...

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne