Need help finding doctor in SE US

12 years 6 months ago #39517 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Need help finding doctor in SE US
If your husband has urethral and prostate involvement, that sounds a bit more than just invasive. Given the extent of the involvement, you may want to be less concerned about the robotic aspect and focus more on "get it all". That may be open surgery.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 6 months ago #39511 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Need help finding doctor in SE US
Welcome to the forum. I fully understand feeling like your head cannot hold another bit of information from reading everything you can find about BC and treatments.

I just wanted to say that I am a Vanderbilt patient and had surgery there in February 2010. I did not have my bladder removed, but did have a partial resection of the wall where my tumor was located via open surgery. I do not have any info on their robotic program, but it is discussed on the Urology Department website Pat provided.

My stay was short compared to what your husband will have if he has a cystectomy... only 4 days for me. But, I was very impressed with the care I received. They are a teaching hospital so there were always interns/residents coming by to check on me. If I ever need another surgery, I will go back there without hesitation. There are several hotels near the hospital that give reduced rates for VB patients.

I still go there for my followups even though it is a 300-mile drive. As a matter of fact, I'm going back on Monday for my first 6-month interval cystoscopy and a CT scan. My urologist/surgeon is Dr. Cookson, and as Pat pointed out they have a very talented surgery/oncology staff.

I hope you are able to make a choice soon that you are comfortable with... at least as comfortable as it is possible to be at this point.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

12 years 6 months ago #39510 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Need help finding doctor in SE US
Vanderbilt has a top reputation with bladder cancer. They have many qualified uro/surgeons on staff. Drs. Smith or Chang are exceptional but they are all great. Take a look at their bio's and decide your fit. They also have one of the top pathology depts. in the country.
www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/root/vumc.php?site=urologicsurgery&doc=24682
Good luck
pat

12 years 6 months ago #39508 by Cynthia
Need help finding doctor in SE US was created by Cynthia
Help please. Need information on excellent doctors & hospital that has a good reputation & success rate with Indiana/Fla pouch. Prefer Southeast area.Have been trying to find info on UAB in Alabama & Vanderbilt in Tenn. My husband is 68 and was diagnosed with high grade invasive BC in April 2011. He has had two TURBTs & TURPs. Not a candidate for neobladder due to urethra & prostate involvement. His first choice is a pouch. Also prefer someone good in robotics. Six BCG treatments have been completed and on followup cysto, BC is continuing to grow. Any input and info is appreciated. This initial decision is so important and my eyes have started to cross on this computer. Thanks A.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne