Help 66yr mom not recovering well from neobladder

17 years 2 months ago #3594 by wendy
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your mother's complication. I know that major surgery takes a huge toll on the body, the anesthesia can make somebody feel horrible for months. I only had a mastectomy and felt horrible for at least a month post-op and fatigue became my middle name. But after a month more treatments came in the picture which added to fatigue, long term. Your mother hasn't had chemo or radiation. Still, surgery is enough to flatten a person for many weeks.

I would be pretty confident that the experts at Mayo would be aware if there were complications of any kind-at least I hope so! CT scans are done at the 3 month follow up barring unforseen complications such as blockage or bleeding.

It's common to lose weight after a cystectomy, even 40 or 50 lbs is not unheard of. Is she on pain meds? This would cause sleepiness and lethargy and contribute to constipation and no appetite. Exercise (walking) is very important post-op.

Try to find out if there's a social worker you could speak with connected to the hospital, who could discuss what's the best way to introduce the topic of antidepressants, or guide you to who would be the best doctor to ask about this. Or ask the physician in charge. See if you can get a call through, or make another appt.

I hope things change, with spring approaching. You mother may be experiencing a post-traumatic shock after such a life altering experience, the seriousness of the diagnosis and the reality of life post-op. I'd say try to encourage her to talk; to you, your father, her family and friends. Maybe she needs someone to vent to and doesn't want to burden her loved ones. Perhaps she's unable to express her fears and doubts and needs an outlet for that, and maybe a third party would be of help.

Take care,
Wendy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 2 months ago #3580 by trubrum
I have tossing that around my head for several days. I just missed her Family Doc appointment today by five minutes. I was going to bring depression up but did not get a chance. My dad is old school and has discussed the possiblity of depression with me but I think he was horrified to bring up the topic to his and her FP doc. She is looking and acting depressed. I just wondered if anyone else got this bad one month after the surgery. She was incredibly active and motivated in the hospital.

17 years 2 months ago #3579 by Rosemary
Dear Tru,

So sorry to hear that it's not going too well.  The symptoms sound like it COULD be depression, since it sounds like the doc has ruled other things out.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 2 months ago #3578 by trubrum
My 66 year old mother had neobladder surgery in Cleveland Clinic on January 8 th this year. She had been recovering well in hospital and released nine days later with home health care since. She had catheter and all drain tubes removed this past Friday and told her healing is going well. She is progressivley getting more and more lethargic sleeping non stop, icredibly weak, no appetite barely eating at all. She is typically very motivated strong person but is getting weaker by the day. Went to her family doc today he gave her nexium claiming may be too much acid in stomach. I am reallly worried. I don't know test asked to be done to monitor possible complications.....help point me right direction.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne