Expectations after radical cystectomy & neobladder

13 years 7 months ago #33970 by NativeNashvillian
Replied by NativeNashvillian on topic Expectations after radical cystectomy & neobladder
It is amazing how someone’s condition can change so rapidly. On Friday, shortly after I posted to say how much better he was doing, my mother called 911 and my father was taken by ambulance to the hospital. He had begun chilling uncontrollably, was too weak to walk to the front door and was running a fever again.

His blood pressure began dropping in the emergency room. They started some IV fluids and gave him a bolus and the blood pressure started to come back some. He was finally sent to a regular room. It is hard to convince doctors and nurses that you know the patient’s history. (My mother took a list of all of his medications as well as a break down of all of his medical procedures with dates performed.) It took several hours for orders to start being given.

Saturday, he was so weak, his hands shook too much for him to be able to feed himself, he couldn’t turn himself over and certainly could not walk.

We had him transferred on Saturday from that hospital (which was closer to home) to Centennial Medical Center where all of his physicians are located. Again, it took several hours to get orders from the hospitalist. That part was very frustrating.

Evidently, flushing a suprapubic catheter is not something nurses normally do in either of these hospitals. My father, mother & I explained that we have been doing that twice a day per the surgeon’s discharge instructions following the surgery and offered to do it ourselves, but was still missed once at each hospital while they waited to find out how to do it.

He was given Levoquin (antibiotic) and has improved dramatically. Yesterday (on Sunday), he was no longer shaking and went for two extended walks in the hospital hallways. He even jokingly challenged another patient who was also out walking the halls to a race. His hands have stopped shaking. He was also able to get a sponge bath, shave himself and brushed his teeth.

They did inform us that his bloodwork showed his kidney functions were low and he had an ultrasound done. We have not had the results of that yet.

I just spoke with my mother who is with him right now. He is still feeling better today and has again been up to bathe, etc.

Carol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 7 months ago #33969 by LeeH
My weight goal is to get down the weight I was when released from the hospital.

13 years 7 months ago #33936 by mmc
Damn! Wish I hadn't gained so much weight since my surgery two years ago. That sounds YUMMY Pat!!!!

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 7 months ago #33933 by Patricia
How to get 3000+ calories with little effort.
1 blender
1 pint of Hagendas favorite flavor icecream
1/2 pint of half and half
1 protein can of that alful tasting stuff to throw in to disguise it.
VIOLA....lots of calories w/protein

peanut butter great protein..i ate that everyday with crackers..a bit lighter than trying to get bread through.
Also tastes really good on a banana which the nurses made me promise i'd eat one a day...potassium. If he likes banana splits give him those too...my dad loved them.

Meat at first is so hard to digest ..at least for me...i still have trouble with it and my portions are small..so the peanut butter and eggs(which is a complete meal by the way) is a good way to get ample protein in.

Progresso soups tasted yummy to me also as did anything with noodles...soft.

Yeah one of the things about infection there are a few of us out there who will run a sub-normal temperature which always confuses the ER...you can also be quite sick without a temp.
And checking the white blood cells very closly as
Bandemia may be a useful clue for identifying occult bacteremia.
All pathology depts. are different..sometimes you need a second eye on things.
But i'm glad to hear he's improving.
pat

13 years 7 months ago #33931 by mmc
If you are going over there to walk with him, don't forget to get the things for making milkshakes!!!

allrecipes.com//Recipe/vanilla-milkshake-i/Detail.aspx

The recipe above is pretty standard. Personally, I prefer to use the French Vanilla but do add the vanilla extract in addition. Don't just pick them up at McDonald's. Something about homemade in the blender that makes a world of difference. Just add chocolate or strawberry syrup or other flavor as desired. Make enough for everyone! You all deserve it.

I know I sure enjoyed mine!!! Fat chance my wife was going to make me a milkshake like that except for the surgery. Actually, if I'd even asked (without surgery) I'd have gotten that famous one eyebrow up look she does. :D :side: :woohoo:

Mike

Age 54

13 years 7 months ago #33930 by mmc
Great news.
The weaning off pain meds, Tylenol for fever and stopping antidepressants all sounds right.

The walking will do wonders so hopefully he is now back on track and on the mend.

Mike

Age 54

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne