Newly diagnosed - looking for support

14 years 1 month ago #31031 by Arthur
Replied by Arthur on topic Newly diagnosed - looking for support
I too have just been diagnosed with High Grade pT2, bladder cancer with invasion into the muscle. Since being told yesterday, I ahve heard sevveral types of surgical proceedures that are and may be available to me. However nothing concrete has been offered yet, however I am told "we have to act fast".

I have been advised the surgery is not going to be an easy one especially with the neo bladder that wlll be the replacement. Prognoses is the success rate is high but the length of time for the process and recooperation is long and not fun to say the least.

I am looking for some input, words of encouragement, comfort etc. that will help head me in the right direction

rgds
Arthur

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago #31030 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Newly diagnosed - looking for support
First find out about the specimen...into muscle or did the surgeon not get part of the muscle for the specimen which is absolutely necessary to stage.
As for repeat TURB..Residual tumor was found in 33% of all ReTURB cases, including 27% of Ta and 53% of T1 disease, and in 81% at the initial resection site in one study and there are plenty of others out there. Here's one from Uro Today..
www.urotoday.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view_ua&id=2223607
its free to register and read.
As for Pennsylvania..here's a top uro/surgeon at Penn Medicine..a NCI designated center....Dr Bruce Malcowicz
www.pennmedicine.org/Wagform/MainPage.aspx?config=provider&P=PP&ID=1398
This would be a great place for a second opinion.
pat

14 years 1 month ago #31017 by mpc710
Replied by mpc710 on topic Newly diagnosed - looking for support
Thanks, Pat for your post. We live in Northeastern PA. Your point is very interesting about the invasion of the muscularis propria. I will be encouraging my mother to have the BCG treatments. I hadn't heard/read about the suggestion of having a second TURB within 2 to 6 weeks. Thank you for your help.

14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #31015 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Newly diagnosed - looking for support
hi mpc,
i'm always scratching my head when i read a pathology report that states "No invasion of the muscularis propria is identified." Does that mean the surgeon did not get enough of a specimen to determine if it was into the muscle or is that just the way he words it? A good question to ask as they all seem to have their own language.
i see no reason why your 79 yr old mother can't have BCG treatments if in otherwise good health. Dr. Lamm has recommended reducing dosage by l/3, l/10 and even 1/100.
see the following article.

blcwebcafe.org/content/view/112/122/lang,english/
Also a real good idea to get a second opinion. If you tell me where you are i can help. Recommendations now are to have a repeat TURB within 2 to 6 weeks after the first TURB just to make sure all margins are clean and no re-seeding has taken place.
Pat

14 years 1 month ago #31014 by mpc710
** This thread discusses the content article: Newly diagnosed - looking for support **

My 79 yr old mother was just diagnosed with bladder cancer this morning. She had a cystoscopy last week and tumors were found, removed and biopsied. At this morning's appt., her urologist gave her this report.

TUR bladder tumor: Papillary urothelial carcinoma, high grade, with invasion of the lamina propria. No invasion of the muscularis propria is identified.

Treatment suggested: Follow up cystoscopy in 3 months. Also "suggested" BCG treatment. But, left this option up to her.

Please let me know your thoughts/suggestions.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne