Think I\'ve got \"May-Thurner Syndrome\" (MTS)

14 years 8 months ago #27570 by Melodie
No, dear, the radio didn't make the dx...these are actually two doctors, male and female, who have their own practice just outside of Seattle. And why shouldn't I accept the response they offer....makes sense to me...and besides....none of the yawhoos in the medical profession who have looked at me, have even tried to give me a clue as to what is wrong or what can be done. They just said something like, "that's interesting, that's odd" etc.:angry: I find that annoying. They could at least send me to another doctor or check with another physician...or something. I guess they figure that since my life was saved by the RC that I should be thankful enough not to let other problems disturb me. If so, they are wrong. I am thankful, VERY thankful...but I do have high expectations and think the medical profession should do a better job of "listening" to us patients...no matter what our concerns. :angry: Thanks for listening. Now I feel better and will be quiet.

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 8 months ago #27566 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Think I\'ve got \"May-Thurner Syndrome\" (MTS)
Melodie..you let a radio show make a diagnosis? MTS is usually caused by a DVT.....which then you should have a doppler to have it checked out. And it would be a good idea to see a cardiologist and an echo cardiogram just to make sure all things are working in that department.
Pat

14 years 8 months ago #27564 by Melodie
Sorry, I forgot to add some definition of this MTS...

this is caused when left iliac vein is compressed by right iliac artery which increases risk of deep vein thrombosis in left extremity….result of pelvic surgery. Oh joy!

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #27562 by Melodie
God answered prayers in the most unexpected ways. :) Following the removal of bladder stones in July 08, my left foot and ankle remained swollen. As time moved on, none of the four doctors I talked with could tell me how to relieve the swelling. Since it didn't really bother me much, except for the fact that I could only wear sneakers and fip flops, I ignored it most of the time....until summer weather set in. Recently it seems to have gotten worse and so I began to pray about it.

Yesterday while going home with my vanpool, I rode shotgun so I could keep the driver company...I always sit in the third row back. I began to talk about my foot problem and she mentioned there was a radio show on where two local naturpathic doctors answers questions. I called in. I was nearly certain they would advise me to take 1/2 teaspoon of cheyanne pepper in warm water 3Xs a day or something similiar.:huh: Lo and behold...I was told I have "May-Thurner Syndrome (MTS). And also that they can put a stent in to help resolves that problem.

I was so happy to finally find someone who could give my aliment a name and they in turn said how happy they were that I was healthy enough to be here after fighting BC...I then mentioned I had designed my own website and they mentioned it on their show. I'm not sure now which I am more excited about...the fact that I finally got dx'd or the fact that my BC website got some good exposure.

my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/vascular_abnormalities/vs_may-thurner_syndrome.aspx

(guess I don't know how to make these links happen)

Anyway....I'm a much happpier warrior! :laugh:

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne