Intestinal blockage

15 years 1 week ago #25338 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Intestinal blockage
Mike ...here's the main guy at UCLA Regan Medical Center for Urology
www.uclahealth.org/body.cfm?id=458&action=detail&ref=11679
hope you don't need him. Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 1 week ago #25335 by Rockyiss
Replied by Rockyiss on topic Intestinal blockage
Hi Mike , Boy you and your family are sure having a hard time right now.It's a shame you can't be in the same hospital as your mother in law., that would make it a little eaiser on all of you. My prayer is that you all are ok and you both get better soon. Rocky

15 years 1 week ago #25334 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Intestinal blockage
Pat,

I probably should have. Once you get past triage they seem to know what they were doing. It's a partial blockage and I'm doing a lot better already. I think most of it is cleared based on how I'm feeling and the pain meds wore off a few hours ago.

Just came here because it's 10 minutes from my in-laws place. If I had it to do again (and I hope not), we'd drive the extra time and go to UCLA.

:)

Live and Learn!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

15 years 1 week ago #25333 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Intestinal blockage
Mike...why didn't you stay at the UC MedicalCenter? At least they know what a neobladder is and lord only knows if the other place read the CT scan correctly. Can you transfer over to UCLA? aaargh......i know that feeling..had an ileus myself only mine required surgery as my small intestine was trapped under my ureter.
Pat

15 years 1 week ago #25332 by mmc
Intestinal blockage was created by mmc
OK. These are just not fun at all.

First off, my mother-in-law had a massive stroke last Thursday. My wife and daughter flew out first thing the next morning.

I arrived two days ago to lend a hand and support.

After having a fairly simple cafeteria lunch at UCLA Medical Center, I wound up with another intestinal blockage. It was some chinese style sliced beef with mushrooms and other veggies with rice.

Since I had one of these in January, I knew exactly what it was when it started to hit me a few hours later. I walked around the block a few times to see if that would help and the pain subsided a bit but then came back hard later. Wound up going to Los Robles Hospital in Thousand Oaks, CA emergency room. If you can, avoid this emergency room!
The triage nurse didn't know what a neobladder was and after I explained exactly what my relevant history and current symptoms were he asked if my bladder was removed because of colon cancer! I politely explained that I had my bladder removed because of bladder cancer and most likely, if I had colon cancer, the surgery would have been there!

Even though the blockage can cause some pretty intense pain, apparently if the triage nurse doesn't fully understand that, you don't get seen until they run out of all other patients.

Sure enough, when I finally got seen and got a cat scan 9 hours later, my self diagnosis was confirmed. While this is only a partial obstruction, it sure did hurt for a while.

Now I'm on pain meds and Regalin and an antibiotic because my white cell count was up.

This is just crazy. I'm supposed to be helping my wife and her family but instead my sister-in-law brought me to the emergency room and stayed until they finally admitted me. That was around 7:45AM this morning and we arrived at 10PM last night. My wife was spending the night with her mom at UCLA medical center and had her phone off.

Told my wife it's nothing to worry about because we know what it is and that it will pass. She's stopping by on her way home in an hour or so.
I felt so bad about this because in comparison to the stroke this is trivial and I don't want folks worrying about me.

I know this will pass in a day or two but IV and meds are required.

Just needed write this down...I suppose.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne