What to feed him?

15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #22018 by Webs
Replied by Webs on topic What to feed him?
I also liked bacon go figure. I also liked mashed potatoes and milk products but like Pat found the milk products produced more mucus. I lost 29 lbs do to the surgery but within two months had regained most of it. Good luck.

Webs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 6 months ago #22014 by timb
Replied by timb on topic What to feed him?
my bowels were pretty angry after surgery and i found that those little probiotic drinks helped to restore their balance a bit. thats my top tip. other than that, lots of fresh soup and for some reason i craved bacon! maybe the salt as i was sweating a lot with early infections.

tim

15 years 6 months ago #22012 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic What to feed him?
Hi Sonj.....i agree with Eddie.
I lost about 23lbs with this surgery that i didn't have to lose. Your body kind of knows what it will tolerate. I made sure that i ate 2 eggs every day in the morning so that i got my protein and all the good stuff...my appetite was lousy but i seemed to love very fattening mocha decaf hot drinks...i loved drinking shakes or eating ice cream but found they produced lots of mucus..didn't particularly keep me from eating them though!! Small meals...pasta was good...baked potatos......i was able to tolerate Pom juice ok...but everyone is a bit different. Don't be concerned if he does not have a hugh appetite. Its slow to come back and the bowels are a bit angry after this surgery......so just go with the flow ...oh and bananas are good too...Pat

15 years 6 months ago #22008 by eddiek
Replied by eddiek on topic What to feed him?
Sonj,

Some items to consider:

> Following RC w/neobladder, the intestines will be adjusting from the prep for surgery, the surgery, and the recovery.

> We found that frequent, small, easy to digest meals were better than fewer large meals; 5 or 6 a day, more like "snacks". Foods like eggs or buttered pasta are good; even jello or shakes.

> Intestinal pain during recovery is not uncommon, so avoid foods/beverages that would normally cause digestive problems; bland is probably best, just like if a patient was experiencing a GI virus or "flu".

> Exercise helps with the recovery process, so make sure that he keeps going when he returns home.

> Lots of fluids are also good.

Surgery and recovery can be a hectic time, so please keep us posted on his progress when you are able.

You and your husband will be in our thoughts!

Ed K.

Edward J. Kinsella
American Bladder Cancer Society
Board of Directors - Treasurer/Secretary

& Caregiver

15 years 6 months ago #22004 by psee4me
What to feed him? was created by psee4me
My husband will have his neo in few days. He is 159 lbs now, and I know he'll drop in weight. After he gets home...I want him to get as much nutrients as possible w/o causing him constipation. I do not want to mess up his bowels following this surgery. What worked best for you when you were back at home? What do you think about V8 juice (too acidic)? Sonj

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne