Chemo Pre RC?

15 years 10 months ago #18313 by Maria
Replied by Maria on topic Chemo Pre RC?
Hi Newbie.............. I posted this reply in one of your earlier posts and thought I would copy for you again to save you trawling through posts to find the information:

I have just finished 3 months Gemzar / Cisplatin. We all react differently, mainly for me it was the fatigue, it was really bad, and I think everybody on chemo suffers fatigue. I had to miss two sessions due to low white cell count and had 2 blood transfusions during the chemo. I missed my last dose as I ended up in the hospital with fever and bladder infection.
Nevertheless I got through it and my Oncologist said that I did remarkably well! It will be tough but I think I remember Zach saying on here that he viewed his chemo appointments as healing rather than tough treatments. I always remembered that when I turned up at the hospital and it helped get me through the treatments.

Just make sure your Dad gets plenty of rest and lists side effects and reports anything, no matter how small it may seem to the nurses before he has the treatments. Make sure you have an after hours contact number for emergencies.

I am sure the hospital would have talked with you both about chemotherapy and potential side effects, here is some additional information which may help:

www.chemocare.com/bio/gemzar.asp

www.chemocare.com/bio/cisplatin.asp

Best wishes to your dad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 11 months ago #17768 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Chemo Pre RC?
I can't talk about the chemo, but for the bladder removal you just have to know the facts about what to expect. With a good surgeon he should have no problems, obviously its the unknown you worry about. The surgery itself is hard on ones body, all the proding and so on, but with a good caregiver keeping an eye on things it will be okay..recovery is most important as the first 4 weeks you spend getting your strength back and weight if he looses some, about that, it happens to most, not to be surprised, but it all comes back. Other minor issues occur as well, just call when things come up and they will assure you as to its being a issue or not.
We have all been where you are now, although at stage 3 T-2 we did not have chemo or radiation, and still have not. I believe its the surgeons call, and his feeling on the need from what he has seen. Home nurses are worth their weight in gold, they come for 6 weeks twice a week here, they make things alot easier.( after surgery)
Expect a 6-8 day stay in the hospital, what deversion is he getting, it escapes me right now. I am sure you stated it...rest and walking the first 4 weeks, and eating good food, also your bowels are compromised, they work but sometimes its a struggle, ask for help in that area, for us it was milk of magnesia, always ask the doctor. I will be thinking of you and your family,, Ginger

15 years 11 months ago #17731 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Chemo Pre RC?
Newbie...since they know your Dads cancer is invasive T2 (meaning into the muscle) and high grade its a no-brainer to give chemo pre cystectomy. Others have gone through this regimen on this site of Gemzar/Cisplatin and i'm sure it is a variable with each of them. Just make sure your local oncologist is on board with Dr. Bochner as to exact dosage and treatments and drugs for any unwanted effects and that all protocols are followed.
Pat

15 years 11 months ago #17713 by newbie08
Chemo Pre RC? was created by newbie08
Hi all,

Had our 2nd opinion appointment last week, unfortunately grading remained invasive (think I was fooling myself that it would miraculously be downgraded!!) Doc now recommends 3 months Gemzar/Cisplatin then 1 month off followed by surgery - dad is a good candidate for neobladder!
Has anyone been through this treatment? Pretty anxious about how unwell my dad will be, suppose its going to be a tough few months ahead? Do poeple know why chemo is offered to some people pre op and not offered to others?

Just want to thank all for the emails they sent me, they really are greatly appreciated, this website is a life saver x

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne