picking dr

16 years 1 week ago #15765 by grampadonut
Replied by grampadonut on topic picking dr
live in las vegas..but considering going back east..Ct (familys there) if (which i'm sure i will)need bladder removal
any good hospitals ??
thank you

grampadonut
dx t2-g3
05/07/08

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 1 week ago #15717 by newbladder
Replied by newbladder on topic picking dr
This will be one of the most important decisions you make in your life. literally.
There is evidence in the medical literature that these operations should be done by experienced surgeons in hospitals that do many of these cases. Results are superior. (Author Dr Howard Herr)
Having just gone through a RC with neobladder(8hrs) I can attest to this. I am a physician & did lot's of research before making my decision. What area of the country do you live in? My experience at MSKCC with Dr Bochner was the best. Superb surgeon but equally important a very good supportive team consisting of Fellows, Residents, pain service, outstanding nursing staff etc etc. I always felt & knew I was being cared for by the best.
Good luck with your choice.
HK

16 years 1 week ago #15713 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic picking dr
The person you want doing this surgery is going to be in a hospital setting...he probably see's patients one day a week and is performing surgery the other 4...he's teaching, he's writing research papers, and he's unbelievably dedicated. You can easily find the top cancer hospitals or university hospitals and check their genitourinary surgeons....see what their particular interest is..is it bladder cancer or prostate cancer....you can have access to the many papers they've written...Its a bit tedious to do but its worthwhile. And truley after almost 6 yrs of doing this research I've found that the top guys all know one another...they all speak very highly of one another...and they are on top of their game.
I happen to have a super duper surgeon like Joe who actually answers every email i send him and sometimes i check out the time he sent it and its like 4:30 in the A.M....
We just lost one of the very best in Dr. John Stein but he has taught many and the quality of surgery at USC/Norris will not diminish and many of his fellows that he has taught like Dr. Bochner who is now at Memorial Sloan in NYC are out there carrying on his work.
Pat

16 years 1 week ago #15700 by Dale50
Replied by Dale50 on topic picking dr
I agree with Fear and Fight, my surgeon Dr. Seth Lerner does at least 2 neos a weeks, teaches this surgery at Baylor College of Medicine and sees patients two days a week so yes it is hard to get in and see him. The great thing about having a Dr. at a teaching hospital is you get a team of Doctors/Residents as I had five to look after me.

Dale

16 years 1 week ago #15697 by fearandfight
Replied by fearandfight on topic picking dr
A top gun surgeon I assure is doing more then one surgery per week as all neobladders don't take 8 hrs and remember yes these guys have office hrs, clinics, and their surgeries but they work like hard they are basically married to their jobs. When I first went in the hospital here I am 52 and my Uro/Oncologist is around 68 yrs old and he starts his rounds at 6 am every morning with his residents, this guy is unreal. No banking hours with this job. My surgeon averages about 150 RC's per year so if you get an appt' with him you best not miss it. He has patients that come from all over just to see him so this man is booked. Joe ;)

16 years 1 week ago #15676 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic picking dr
The average neobladder is very dependent on the surgeon....it can be 3 to l2 hours...I'd go with the 3 hr one. ;D

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne