picking dr

16 years 1 week ago #15666 by dave
Replied by dave on topic picking dr
I don't know what a reasonable number is, but if the average neo bladder is 8 hours, that would mean one per week would be pretty busy for the average doc who has other patients and procedures in a given week. Just reading my four page operation report would indicate to me that the eight hours in surgery, writing the report, as well as prep and follow up would make for a long day. My doc asked me if he can provide my phone number to anyone sitting on the fence regarding doing the surgery; perhaps your doc will find others for you to speak with.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 1 week ago #15644 by harleygirl
Replied by harleygirl on topic picking dr
As an example, the urologist that my Dad is now seeing said he does about 80 radical cystectomies a year. The doctor that did Dad's operation probably had done about 4 in his entire career.

16 years 1 week ago #15642 by grampadonut
Replied by grampadonut on topic picking dr
whats a "good" number of operations per year to make dr a good choice
thank you

grampadonut
dx t2-g3
05/07/08

16 years 1 week ago #15635 by dave
Replied by dave on topic picking dr
what I've see on the email list is people throwing out the area in which they live. Others then seem to come up with suggestions on a good physician through their experiences.

16 years 2 weeks ago #15516 by grampadonut
Replied by grampadonut on topic picking dr
we'll continue to ask and i guess hope for the best
so what harley do you ride?
i just 275miles today on my 04' rode king..mid 80s here in vegas..great to to ride..hope i get alot more chances to do so

thanks for your help

grampadonut

grampadonut
dx t2-g3
05/07/08

16 years 2 weeks ago #15515 by harleygirl
Replied by harleygirl on topic picking dr
Good question. It is unfortunate that there is really no good way to check on a doctor's credentials and successes and failures.

If you have a friend who is a doctor, ask him/her for a recommendation or go to a university-affiliated hospital. Pick a doctor then simply ask how many procedures he/she has done and pray they tell you the truth.

I know that there are people on this forum from all over the country (and world for that matter) who would be glad to make a recommendation for a doctor. If you were in the Dallas area, I would have a good one for you (and also one to avoid like the plague!) Good luck in your search.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne