I am feeling really down

16 years 4 months ago #11375 by lisaloo
Replied by lisaloo on topic I am feeling really down
Hi
My GP arranged for me to see a gynaecologist this morning and he was disgusted that I had been left for nearly three weeks at 37 with no HRT.The bladder is effected by female hormones which is why women suffer from incontinence when they are older and no longer produe oestragen.However he said there is no evdence that HRT is related to bladder cancer.Especially when given to younger women who have had a surgical menopause.After all HRT is just replacing what my body would have been producing for the next ten years its not adding hormones or increasing the length of time my body is subjected to them.
He was the nicest man and really reassured me that it is safe for me to take HRT he even phoned my oncologist whilst I was there to ask why they hadnt started me on it and to check they were happy for me to have it.Just for a change I spent most of the appointment in tears but I am so relieved.He has started me on an oestragen patch which reduces the effects on your liver which is good because of the chemotherapy.Its called Progynova TS if that means anything to anyone and the oestragen is soya based.
Hopefully the effects will kick in soon and I will be able to stop being so stupidly emotional.
Lisa x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 months ago #11318 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic I am feeling really down
Well i somehow don't think it is....some places like Hopkins and Indiana are preserving the female organs in pre-menopausal women as they say there is not an indication that it spreads there. Lets ask them!! Pat

16 years 4 months ago #11314 by lizt2g3
Replied by lizt2g3 on topic I am feeling really down
Hi! I know exactly where you are coming from, I am almost 3 weeks out from my surgery. I have never been so miserable and depressed in all my life.
Not only do you have the surgery pain, scars etc... but now this Menapouse stuff.
The hot flashes stink but I can deal better with that than the emotions. I cry at the drop of a dime. Are you having the same problem. Both my onc and uro surg said I shouldn't take HRT, because they do not know the cause of bladder cancer, and are not certain that it is not affected by hormones.
I hope you happier days, and I hope I can get thru just 1 day without an emotional breakdown.
Liz

16 years 4 months ago #11262 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic I am feeling really down
Wow..i emailed Dr. Lipov and he emailed me back directly with his personal phone number. I got home to late to call him but will let you know what he says tomorrow.........Pat

16 years 4 months ago #11260 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic I am feeling really down
Lisaloo,

Here's the thread if you are interested in reading it...it talks about Bladder Cancer and Menopause...

blcforum.com/smf/index.php/topic,625.msg3320.html#msg3320

I hope you feel better soon and glad you are getting some good advice from people who have gone through this.

Your friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 4 months ago #11259 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic I am feeling really down
Hey Lisaloo,

I am not Moderator for the Invasive Bladder Cancer Section, however, I just would like to say something concerning this comment....

"She said that BC is not a hormone sensitive tumour, so there was no oncological reason not to. "

We've had a discussion on this subject before. I wish I could find the thread, I will keep looking for it....

But, what I want to say, is that from what I can tell by research on the Net and by our discussions here, and by asking my Urological Surgeon/Researcher from a University Hospital the point blank question, "IS BLADDER CANCER ESTROGEN DEPENDENT?" , his point blank answer to me was, "WE DON'T KNOW." What I gather is that the jury is still out on this issue.

I'll keep looking for that thread. It sticks in my mind.

Good luck to you. I'll be checking in on how you are doing.

Your Bladder Cancer Friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne