Bad news for me

16 years 4 months ago #11205 by timb
Replied by timb on topic Bad news for me
hi Don

Just to briefly add to the above, if you go down the RC route, it's a tough op but there's an excellent quality of life on the other side. I can only mirror what Zach said above. my life is very normal now, my checkups much less frequent, I work my butt off and Im really looking forward to a great christmas and a holiday in Greece next year with the family. there'll be a few challenges along the way but it sounds like you'll handle them. i do have a few issues (read my other posts) but Im way way happier with the outcome of my op than I ever dreamed possible. any way we can be of any help just ask. I don't want to make it sound easy because it isn't but, if you end up on the road me and zach and others are on, you'll think it not so bad either. To be honest, a year in and I can't remember what it felt like to have a "real" bladder!!

all the best mate

tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 months ago #11184 by skypilot
Replied by skypilot on topic Bad news for me
Hello Rose thanks for that information.It does not sound tobad. It is great to have you all helping me again. I will let you know Monday what my Doc thinks about all this, And Rose you are probably rite we should not get the path report before we see Doctor but this way I have a few ? ready to ask about this report. and there is a uro frind in texas that also giving me his thoughts on this tonight. Don

Hanging in there!

16 years 4 months ago #11183 by skypilot
Replied by skypilot on topic Bad news for me
Hi Zach: It was really nice talking to you and your Wife. I am inlightened by your RC story. If I have time I will check some things. Clevland clinic is not to far, I read a post were someone had RC done there by robotics and all was good, But I do have faith in my cancer center I am at now. Or henery ford medical center in 40 min away they also do this by robotics. I have been in contact with them and after seeing Doc on Monday if they do it by robotic assited I will just stay with them. They are downtown Detroit but they seem to have doen ok with me so far. I will see how many they have done and make sure my doc can do the hand part of the rebuild, They say he is a great surgen but he might not want to be involved with this. I will keep you updated. Don

Hanging in there!

16 years 4 months ago #11182 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Bad news for me
Associate Professor of Urology and Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine; Staff Urologist, USC/Norris Cancer Center, Los Angeles, California

Keratinizing squamous metaplasia in and of itself is not a worrisome finding. Some studies have shown that concurrent carcinoma (transitional cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, or adenocarcinoma) of the bladder was found in 10% to 20% of patients with squamous metaplasia, but the malignant lesion was usually noted to arise in the nonmetaplastic portions of the epithelium. Because both squamous metaplasia and certain types of bladder cancer can be caused by chronic inflammation, it is not surprising that these 2 entities may occur in the same patient. However, the way to lower the patient's risk of developing cancer is not to remove the squamous metaplasia, but to eliminate the source of the chronic inflammation.

In this case, it sounds as if the patient is having low-grade recurrent urinary tract infections (UTIs) likely due to the incomplete emptying of the diverticulum. By report, the patient's symptoms respond to antibiotics, implying that he had a UTI. One of the indications for surgical removal of a bladder diverticulum is recurrent UTIs. I would obtain a cystogram, if this has not been done already, to see if the diverticulum empties with voiding and to better understand the bladder anatomy. I would then likely proceed with diverticulectomy. This would remove the source of the patient's chronic infections and inflammation, preventing him from experiencing future symptomatic UTIs and potentially reducing his future risk of developing bladder cancer due to chronic irritation.

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 4 months ago #11178 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Bad news for me
Don, I didn't have a chance to ask you--are you going to (or have access to) a major cancer center for your treatment options?

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 4 months ago #11168 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Bad news for me

It's been a bit more than a year after my RC, and my life, in the big scheme of things, is back to normal. In five minutes we're going to walk our two dogs to the coffee shop and then throw tennis balls for them. After that I'm going to take a load to the dump, and after that we're going to a Christmas party. After that--this evening--we're going to pick up a dog that we're going to foster until we find a new home for him.

That's a long-winded way of saying that's about the exact same thing I'd be doing if I hadn't had an RC. My life is pretty good, and I'm betting yours will be too.

I'm sending you my cell number if you have any questions or want to talk about this.

My best to you,

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne