Neo-bladder - now an infection

16 years 4 months ago #11806 by Betsy Mae
Replied by Betsy Mae on topic Neo-bladder - now an infection
Thanks Holly,
I'm not sure that many neobladder procedures are done in England. I now know I'm the 3rd female my surgeon has operated on but am not worried as I'm very happy with him and everyone has to start somewhere! Do you ever need to self cath? (If you don't mind me asking?)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 months ago #11804 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic Neo-bladder - now an infection
Hi Betsy,

Sorry to hear you are having to self cath all the time with having had a neobladder done in August. I realize there are not as many successful neobladders on women, but not all female neo's have to cath. I had my neo done at Mayo's in March...and I have not had to self cath even once :) I think it pays to be very sure of the surgeons success rate with female neobladders before surgery.
God Bless, Holly

16 years 4 months ago #11802 by Betsy Mae
Hi Joe,
I should have stated in my posting that I have to self cath all the time(apparantly this is the norm for women or so I've been told). I currently have another infection and have taken the antibiotics this time. I actually feel much better now. I'm seeing my consultant early in the New Year so I will discuss my concerns with him. My GP has told me that no matter how 'clean' and careful you are when using the catheter, because you are inserting something into yourself, you will always run the risk of usually harmless bugs being introduced to where they should not be!
I use a new catheter each time and am surprised to read about people having to sterilise them as I've seen on quite a few postings on various sites. Are you all in The States? I'm in England.

16 years 4 months ago #11791 by Joe M
Replied by Joe M on topic Neo-bladder - now an infection
One of the problems, after 5 years with a neobladder is infections.

Since last spring, I have been self cathing, twice daily (on AM waking and just before bed) to make sure I am empty.
Residual urine often is the cause of 'pouchitis'.
No kangaroo joke here, you can't have a bladder infection with no bladder. They have to call it pouchitis.
Bizarre.

Anyway, since self cathing, I have had no problems with cloudy or dark urine. No infections and I seem to be able to empty my neobladder more efficiently now.
In the AM, I try to empty it on my own, and then chart the output with the catheter.
I usually have about 100-200cc left over....which is enough to give a bacteria a running start.
I use a simple 16 fr drainage catheter, not a indwelling one with the balloon.

Ask your urologist is this is an option for you.
Get trained in doing a 'clean procedure' with the catheter.
Semi-sterile procedure. Lots of hand washing and washing the catheter for reuse a few times.

This may reduce the infection occurances, and the severity of them.
If you run a fever don't wait to see the doctor. Call immediately if you hit 101.
Any antibiotic takes a day to get working, so waiting is never an option.

16 years 4 months ago #11606 by Betsy Mae
Hello Everyone!
Thee threads are sounding very familiar to me! Following my neobladder in August I had several nasty klebsiella infections and needed IV antibiotics. The infections come on really fast - loss of appetitie, vomiting, fever and the shakes. Even now I constantly feel a bit below par and have obviously had a few minor infections since which I have shaken off myself. On one occasion my consultant advised against the prescribed antibiotics from my GP as I was feeling much better when I spoke to him. The consultant is worried that if I continue to take antibiotics I will become immune to them. Keep smiling!

16 years 4 months ago #11590 by mikeg
Replied by mikeg on topic Neo-bladder - now an infection
hello all - is anybody on macrodantin after their RC? my husband had his RC nov. 5th and is on macrodantin daily for 6 months post-op. he had a UTI in the hospital on day 4 - it was resolved with antibiotics - and the only problem he had after that was about 10 days post op - he had an "ileus" - a slowing down of the bowels. they put him in our local hospital for 3 days with IV fluids to give the bowels complete rest so everything could calm down. i hope he doesn't get any more infections. anyway, macrodantin is what he's on and so far so good. good luck to you all.

eileen, mike g's wife

Michael
Age 58
Stage T2-T3, muscle invasive
Married to Eileen
2 sons, ages 20 and 23

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne