A "Hospital Meeting" about my Dad's next discharge...

16 years 5 months ago #10431 by momof4
Andrea & Lorrie,

In Canada do they have forms for a "Health Care Sorrogate"? How about Medical/and Durable Power of Attorney? These are forms that need to be filled out ASAP. This was when your father is medicated, or otherwise not of "Sound Mind and Body", the hospital or Dr.s need to give you the information/ and decisions that have to be made regarding his care will go through either one of you or both of you depending on who is on the paperwork. This is so important given the state of affairs with your father/husband. I would get these things filled out today.

Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #10430 by dadhasbc
Once again, thank you all for your comments. We are getting to be at the end of our ropes!

I contacted our family doctor yesterday, we've sort of avoided her, as she was the reason why dad's diagnosis took so long. However perhaps we were wrong in avoiding her, because I think her guilt is motivating her. I sent her an email explaining what has been going on in hospital, and asking for a referral to a local cancer centre. She emailed back within an hour, seemingly quite astounded by the things that have been happening and saying that today she was going to talk to several big wigs at the hospital and find out what is going on. She also mentioned that he probably would have been referred once he was a little more stable, to which I replied with my surprise...following the pathology results we were told that no further treatment was necessary.

Anyway, I'm anxiously awaiting word from her to see what will be done.

The hospital meeting that we had last week was almost comical. The floor "hospitalist" came in, and I was sure he was a new grad...he had no social skills, just kept looking at the floor and saying "do you have any more questions"? Our first question was "who ARE you?" I had no idea why he was at the meeting. We happily let him run away because he was useless.

The homecare nurse, fervently explained that she had dad all set up for homecare, and Dad must be mistaken when he though he wasn't on homecare. We showed her the paperwork (discharge papers), which clearly said NO to homecare, and then when Mom and Dad left hospital that time, they stopped at the homecare clinic and were told that no, there was no homecare that time around. So, she was just covering her butt.

We brought up the reusing syringes issue, and she again said Dad must be mistaken. We said he wasn't sent home with supplies, and she said she sent him home with stuff (2 syringes, no saline). When Dad has to flush the catheter 5-6 times/day, 2 syringes don't go far!! She also went on to say there is no way they were using the same syringe in hospital and mom said she confirmed it by calling the nurses station. They said yes, in hospital they reuse syringes.

We reiterated that Dad's state of mind is not perfect. He was home for two days, newly being treated with insulin, and he forgot to take it twice. he doesn't hear well, and I don't think absorbs most of what he is told. We have told people that numerous times! Talk to the family, don't give all the info to him!

Apparently the Urologist was in yesterday and told dad he had informed him about this "lung nodule" because it was noted on his post-op rads (that would be almost 6 weeks ago). Well, dad was completely gorked with pain meds for about 5 days post-op, looking at the ceiling and telling us how things were moving around. What is a doctor thinking telling an important bit of news like that to a man in that state? GRRRR. Hello, we are only a phone call away!!

Anyway, this has been the most frustrating experience. I really hope the family doctor can get him transferred to other care. There are so many things that have gone wrong, and so many mistakes that have been made, probably most of them due to communication.

I'll let you all know what we hear!! Again, thank you all for your kind posts, andrea

16 years 5 months ago #10424 by bobmac2
Karen, you are so right. We have had nurses ask "Why are you here?" "What did they do to you?" "Wow!!" "How do they do that?" " Really!" "Oh, I've never heard of that". These comments don't exactly instill confidence.Do these healthcare 'professionals' not talk to each other?? We are in Canada where the saying "the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing" was never more true. Thanks for letting me 'vent'- Lorrie

16 years 5 months ago #10422 by momof4
Lorrie,

I am so sorry you and your family, and especially Bob are having all of these problems! I hope you can either get this hospital to do what they are supposed to do, or at least what you want, otherwise, a move might well be in order. Are you in the US? Is he being treated at a major hospital? Problem is, if the Surgeon is skilled in the neobladder procedure, that doesn't necessarily mean that the staff knows how to take care of someone after this operation. I am thinking about you so often during the day. I hope you come up with something that makes you all feel better.

You, Andrea, and Bob are in my thoughts,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 5 months ago #10421 by bobmac2
Hi everyone- I want to thank you all for your concern & support. This has been such a stressful time. We knew that a neobladder surgery was huge but we were told that there would be a 2 month recovery time. Well, surgery was on Oct.2 & Bob is still in the hospital just 'wasting away'. Everytime he goes into hospital (this is the 4th time), he comes out looking worse instead of better. Now they have found this lung nodule that apparently wasn't there before surgery. He was having an MRI last night or this morning & is having another bone scan on Mon. He looks awful- just a bag of bones- I'm guessing that he weighs about 125-130. The constipation is still an issue, they keep giving him enemas. The bed sore is still bothering him, his back is very sore, he has a pain somewhere in his gut. The only good thing is that they are flushing the catheter properly. After the meeting on Wed. when some crazy Dr. who we had never heard of, dropped a bombshell on us about the lung nodule, I called the original Urologist's office & he actually called me back! When I asked about this lung nodule he tried to tell me that we were told, I argued & he said then that he told Bob. Well, anyone with 1/2 a brain could see that Bob is 'fuzzy', not himself(sometime ago I had told them that he was depressed), he isn't retaining things, plus he is hard of hearing! I was so angry. This Dr. said that he couldn't understand why Bob was getting all these infections- I told him that 1 reason was because the nurses were re-using syringes to flush his catheter. "oh, they shouldn't do that" was his answer. There have been so many Dr.s look at him, but these guys don't seem to talk to each other or to the nurses & I swear that they don't read each others notes. We are seriously looking into moving him to another facility. Regards, Lorrie

16 years 5 months ago #10416 by Renee
Hi Lorrie,
I so feel for you and your husband. It is just one thing after another. Indeed, it is very unfair and cancer is just a devasting disease.
Try to hang in there, although that may be easier said than done. I hope your husband will recover somewhat now that he is home. Being home in a "quiet cool room" was something my husband thoroughly enjoyed after 5 weeks off and on in hospital.
I also hope that the homecare will be helpful and will give you the support you need.
Take care,
Renee

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne