A "Hospital Meeting" about my Dad's next discharge...

16 years 5 months ago #10405 by mikeg
hi andrea - my husband just got home from the hospital on sunday nov. 11th after his RC on nov. 5th. it has been pretty smooth sailing for us other than a UTI in the hospital with a fever, and needing a blood transfusion a few days after surgery because of a hemoglobin of 7.6.

since we have gotten home, the only problem we have had so far was with the taping of the catheter. they removed the tape from his thigh right before discharge and sent him home with a leg bag. he couldn't get it comfortable or secure enough and it was yanking on his penis. i tried to re-create the taping that was done in the hospital. to make a long story short, i called our urologist here in philly and he arranged for a visiting nurse who brought us a handy-dandy velcro strap that is specific for the catheter tube. it's made everything a lot easier. sounds like a small thing, but it made all the difference. i hope things ease up for your dad - sounds like a never-ending nightmare. best of luck.

eileen

Michael
Age 58
Stage T2-T3, muscle invasive
Married to Eileen
2 sons, ages 20 and 23

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #10402 by momof4
Thanks Zach,

My mother told me that for the first time when we lost our baby girl shortly after she was born. It is lovely
and it means a lot to me to know that others may hear it in their time of need.

Karen :)

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 5 months ago #10390 by Zachary

That's quite lovely--I just saved it in my notebook and hope your mother won't mind if I repeat it to others someday.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 5 months ago #10389 by Julie
What a blow. I'm sorry the nodule showed up however calling it a nodule means it is still small. i expect they will want a needle biopsy. After my husbands lung nodule showed up they watched it a few months and since it grew they did the biopsy, they also ruled out TB and Valley Fever which is endemic in Arizona. You can hope it is in a place where they can remove it with minimally invasive surgery (VATS). We have had such bad news this year one after another that we just go numb when we get another blow. Take a couple of deep breaths and focus on what you can do for yourself and your husband. We all are here for you and your spouse.

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

16 years 5 months ago #10388 by Gene Beane
Andrea and Lorrie,

I am speechless. Yet another bump but seems you have been given mountains to climb. Lorrie I was wondering if you are allowed to stay with him at the hospital. In his room. I know it provided alot of comfort to my husband when he was feeling really bad. Maybe not everynight but until he gets some leverage on his situation.
Just a thought, Prayers coming your way,,Ginger Beane

16 years 5 months ago #10387 by momof4
Lorrie & Andrea,

My thoughts are with you. Hopefully whatever they are seeing in his lung is benign, and he can move on from this too.

Positive thoughts even when confronted with negative information can really make a difference.

No one knows why these things happen, and not to be overly religious, here is something that my mother has told me for years about the things in life that make us ask: "WHY LORD".

"We are all made up of a tapestry created by God. The problem is we can only see the back side of the tapestry with all of the knots, strings, and the picture doesn't make sense. But the Lord knows what he is creating, and the other side of the tapestry is the most beautiful thing imaginable. Each of us are an intricate part of that tapestry and with out those special people that seem to suffer so greatly, or those that come into and go out of our lives too quickly, it wouldn't make the wondrous picture that it is".

I wish you peace in the face of all that is ahead,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne