Fruits/veggies reduce risk bladder cancer 4 women

10 years 8 months ago #45311 by quasar
I have adopted a plant-based diet since the cancer and wish I would have done this years ago for the shear ease and feeling of well being it gives me. It may not keep the cancer at bay, but I feel better and it gives me a sense of taking some control over my out-of-control life. Hey, my daughters are now eating much better too, so maybe it will keep them and/or my grandchildren from getting cancer 20-30 years from now.

TURBT 7/3/13 at age 60
CIS carcinoma in situ
Ta papillary 2 cm
BCG 7/25/13-8/29/13
maintenance BCG 6/14

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 8 months ago #45273 by Nix
I agree that it is certainly not the cure or even the magic bullet for bladder cancer. I do think anything you can do to improve your immunity can' t hurt.
Dr Lamm does recommend the Vit A he sells, and I don't like taking high doses of Vit.
Maybe eating lots of the yellow/orange helped the immunity maybe not, but I felt I was being proactive. Maybe it just helped mentally, could be:)

Nancy

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

10 years 8 months ago #45272 by sara.anne
Not to pour water on the parade, but...

Of course it is good to eat lots of fruits and veggies....no one would deny that. However, studies like this are not definitive...and the fact that men did not show the same trend is suspicious. Epidemiological studies have inherent problems....they look and "A" and "B" and, if they find some correlation, they tend to say "cause and effect." Years later someone discovers a "C."

The primary problem is that cancer takes a long time to become noticed. For anyone to get significant benefit in AVOIDING cancer, they would need to maintain such a diet over 30 years or so. While healthy eating NOW is certainly a good idea, it won't prevent cancer in tissues already programmed for it or damaged over years of abuse.

I remember the brouhaha over caffeine and breast cancer. This old saw is still around, although it has been disproven multiple times.

Interesting data, probably with basis in fact, but not likely to save us.

IMHO

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

10 years 8 months ago #45269 by Nix
Thank you for posting this. When I was going through BCG, I didn't want to take the Vit A that
Dr. Lamm suggested. I sent an email and asked if it was effective to eat a lot of Vit. A
Fruits and Vegetables. His answer was "absolutely" , he preferred that, but some patients
find it easier to take the pill.
I really ate a lot if the yellow and orange fruits and veggies plus at least 1 1/2 cups of broccoli
a week. Still faithful to the broccoli , but have not kept up on excessive amounts of the Vit. A
food.
I better get back to that,:)

Nancy

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

10 years 8 months ago #45268 by DougG
www.foxnews.com/health/2013/08/26/fruits-and-veggies-reduce-risk-bladder-cancer-in-women/?intcmp=obnetwork

Since there are so few articles on bladder cancer on news websites, I was excited to see this.

Anita

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne