BCG treatments

1 week 4 days ago #62178 by joea73
Replied by joea73 on topic BCG treatments
To answer your question, there was a large joint clinical study by MD Andersons Cancer Center in Texas, Moffitt Cancer Center in Florida and  Levine Cancer Institute in North Carolina to find out how  the timing of BCG after TURBT will affects effective ness of BCG treatment.

Over 500 patients were involved, with a median (range) of 26 (6-188) days from TURBT, their studies showed the following conclusion.

The rates of tolerability and response to adequate BCG are not predicated by the timing of induction BCG instillation after TURBT. Early administration in properly selected patients is safe and delays do not affect therapeutic response.    So,  I would not worry much yet.

The study on timing of BCG after TURBT
pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33783950/

As Alan mentioned, if the delay persists without knowing when you have have BCG treatment,  one option is to participate on the clinical trial on the clinical trial  BRIDGE which is to compare Gemcitabine + Docetaxel intravesical chemotherapy vs BCG for BCG naïve patients.
Gemcitabine + Docetaxel protocol was developed by University of Iowa team under Dr. Michael O'Donnell, who is known as one of early Guru for non muscle bladder cancer along with Dr. Donald Lamm of University of Arizona, now retired.   Gemcitabine + Docetaxel protocol was used for those patient who did not respond to BCG, but during BCG shortage, it was used also BCG naïve patients with very good result.  I think this trial is good trial for patients because patient will receive either GEM/ODC treatment or BCG treatment.  

Link to the clinical trial information
www.cancer.gov/research/participate/clinical-trials-search/v?id=NCI-2022-04864&r=1

best
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 week 6 days ago - 1 week 6 days ago #62175 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic BCG treatments
1st, you needed to wait at least 4-6 weeks to let the TURB heal. Which is what your URO is doing. The vast majority of these types of tumors don't grow that fast. However, at 6 weeks you are healed, and they need to get you started. Another 2-4 weeks probably is not an issue however, I'd want to know about any backup plans if delays persist. There have been other agent combinations that have been used that have been successful. Mitomycin is one. I believe the combo of doxetal and gembetacine (I think I have butchered both names) as heated or warmed before instillation is another. Your URU should be up to speed on this as it has been out 12+ months. Perhaps another practice might also have some BCG.

Keep posting as you go. Someone should be lurking to help answer questions.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

1 week 6 days ago #62174 by mcmimm01
BCG treatments was created by mcmimm01
I had a TUBIT done 6 week ago.  The cancer found was non-invaslive high grade.  The treatment of choice was BCG.  I am now on a waiting list for the treatment.  What length of time between the TUBIT and the beginning of the treatment is considered a reasonable time.  Should I be concerned about a tumor growing back while I wait for the BCG?  Thanks

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne