Hi, I’m new to the forum. Some thoughts..

5 months 4 weeks ago #62050 by opaz_67
Replied by opaz_67 on topic Hi, I’m new to the forum. Some thoughts..
Alan, your command of thoughts is not fuzzy, Ijust sometimes need things dumbing down. My wife will confirm this : )  Thanks for doing that and now I see what you mean.So far, I’ve been assuming the cystitis will eventually die down, tho based on
instinct rather than knowledge. I’ve been reading other threads about regimens,
protocols, geography and BCG shortages and so on. So complex, impossible to
really know the right path. Maybe instinct is a useful tool in this situation.  

I'm a Brit living in France. I was diagnosed with high risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer in 2021

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 4 weeks ago #62049 by Alan
Hey Opaz,

My command of thoughts is sometimes fuzzy when I put them into print! What i was trying to say was many, maybe a majority of people are never able to complete their protocol and maintenance schedule. By the fact you have done many treatments, you likely are protected very well and simply won't need anymore.

On the second question. Yes, you can damage your bladder. I know a couple of people that have that problem with severe bladder cystitis. I have no clue how to measure what is too much and whether one installation can put you over the top to damage. I as mentioned, many people reduce their dosage, and it appears with no loss of efficacy (effectiveness). You are asking the right questions, and it is obvious you are listening to your body. All good things.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

6 months 1 hour ago #62048 by opaz_67
Hi Alan,

I didn't quite understand this phrase " those that at least started maintenance beyond the first 6 in the induction phase, for the most part have had good results." Can you explain it more? 

"When the cure becomes worse than the disease" - I can tolerate a bit of pain and discomfort if it means I can keep my bladder, but I was asking if the side effects - what I'm calling 'BCG cystitis' - can cause permanent damage and be medically counter productive, if you see what I mean.

Thanks 

I'm a Brit living in France. I was diagnosed with high risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer in 2021

6 months 11 hours ago #62047 by Alan
I believe most people had good outcomes at a lesser dosage. I also add from memory (there may be data or studies to confirm or refute  my next statement) that those that at least started maintenance beyond the first 6 in the induction phase, for the most part have had good results. Everyone is different and our bodies are all different. When the cure becomes worse than the disease, one must reassess what they are doing. This I do know, the majority that do BCG and have some follow up, hang on to the bladder. I have learned cancer is an inexact science.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

6 months 15 hours ago #62046 by opaz_67
Thanks Alan. Yes, I’d noticed people talking about 1/2 and 1/4 doses and I did wonder about that. Is
it sometimes a trade-off between managing the cancer itself and avoiding
permanent damage to the bladder caused by BCG cystitis? I’ve avoided mentioning
side effects to my urologist, in case he thinks – ah this guy’s not suitable
for BCG.    

6 months 1 day ago #62045 by Alan
Welcome Opaz,

Your side effects are pretty normal, especially as you are quite away down the road in your regimen. Two observations. Nothing says you have to finish every dose in your protocol to be cured. Many have taken further treatment with lower strengths such as 1/2, 1/4, even 1/10 when they become almost unbearable. You don't want to make destroy the bladder either. Also, remind yourself that systemic chemo for most is a lot worse than what BCG presents.'

Good luck and post away as you have further questions.

The following user(s) said Thank You: opaz_67

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne