Intermittent self catheters

2 years 5 months ago #61023 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Intermittent self catheters
Byron,

Welcome. While I have not had a cystectomy, your post is important! I am sure there have been many in the past that would learn from a voice of experience. Please post as you see fit and let's trust some that who have those questions can learn from you. Thanks!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 5 months ago #61022 by byron
Replied by byron on topic Intermittent self catheters
Since I am new here it may already have been covered. All the manufacturers seem to claim that hundreds of doctors nurses and users claim that theirs is the best. I doubt very much that many have tried them all out like I have. Maybe there has been already a study of them that I am unaware of. I must say that I am quite old and my fingers are not the best, I cant peel a potato anymore and I am sure there are many people older and whose fingers are in a worse condition than mine and it would be of great interest for them to know what a user like me has to say about each catheter. Why should they have to struggle with one if there exists one they dont have to struggle with. The real problem is that a catheter needs three hands and one only has two. One must not touch the catheter at all only its covering or slider and at the same time make sure it doesnt fall out. Only one catheter out of all of them really has a way to stop it falling out, all the others you have to hold it somehow. But other catheters are better in other things like ease of putting in. I should state in advance that every catheter except one went in further quite easily once you had managed to get it in, and did not hurt. at all. I cant be sure if they all really emptied the bladder which is the purpose of a catheter, I can only say the ones which came with bags seem to have the same amount in and all the others something came out every time. The only way to test this is by using ultrasound or using another catheter straight away.  I should say I use a size 14 and I believe the one that didnt go in although it said on it size 14 was really more. Some are tapered at the tip like a nail, and they go in much easier. It is also easier at a distance which you have to do, to make sure a lot goes in initially to be able to hold it there. The companies claim that very many people today have to use them, I would have thought on this forum this would also be the case that is why I am posting here. Please let me know if there is a better place to post this on here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan, joea73

2 years 5 months ago #61021 by byron
Intermittent self catheters was created by byron
I have made a study of these catheters, meaning I have tried them out.  manfred-sauer, gentle-cath, hunter-urology, clini-med, Braun, and MTG pioneer.coloplast, Hollister, wellspect, bard teleflex sensa-cath I just wonder if my results are of interest here. Meaning ease of use etc.
I am new here and am not sure how this forum works.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan, joea73

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne