Tough as shoe leather

8 years 3 months ago #50441 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic Tough as shoe leather
Yes, I know it was a compliment. I am just a little worn down since Doug's latest go-round has been going since October. Seeing the doctor on Tuesday to schedule the next surgery to see if the Gemzar has taken care of the cancer in the kidney. Dealing with the insurance has taken a lot of energy this week from Doug. Just part of life. I will be glad when he gets the stent out; it has been a major source of irritation to him.

Anita

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 3 months ago #50440 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Tough as shoe leather
That shoe leather is only so thick....... and then there is the soft side underneath.
We won't get far if we waste energy on Drama and Self Pity, when we need it all for the battle.
Still Anita, It was a compliment that you are tough. The person was really saying; "I don't think I could handle everything she has been through"
They were admiring your strength.

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

8 years 3 months ago #50438 by Rockyiss
Replied by Rockyiss on topic Tough as shoe leather
Hi Anita , I would have looked at them and said , have you every had a pair of shoes wear out? It would have been worth it to see their face lol
We know that we have to keep putting one foot in front of the other that's our lives now. There aren't that many choices with cancer. We are still alive and our choice is to live life to the fullest ! Are we sick of the test and all the other stuff that goes with it YES !!! But I am also sick of the irs ,the mva. epa , and a hole bunch of other junk we have to deal with .

When we need to be tough we are, when we need to let go we come here. Most of us on here will never meet but we walk in each others shoes and when someones tough leather shoes wear out the others on here will lend them theirs to walk on ! God bless Rocky

8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #50371 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Tough as shoe leather
Hi Anita... Perhaps many want to think those dealing with bc (or any cancer for that matter) are 'tough as shoe leather' because they just can't imagine going through it themselves. Or, maybe it is their way of telling you they admire and respect your strength and courage but don't really feel comfortable saying it directly.

That is a wonderful thing about having the forum... we don't have to act tough here. We can let the wall down and be ourselves, be vulnerable, and be honest about our fears.

{{{Hugs}}} to you and Doug...

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

8 years 3 months ago #50370 by DougG
Tough as shoe leather was created by DougG
That's what one of my co-workers told me that I am. Anyone else get tired of being that tough while watching your loved one go through bladder cancer? Deep breath, we gotta be tough, right? Let's all hang in there.

Anita

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne