Source for acronym/terminology translation

8 years 5 months ago #49955 by JayneH
Replied by JayneH on topic Source for acronym/terminology translation
Thanks so much for replying so soon!! Judging from other forums' replies, I wasn't expecting a response for at least a day or week, if ever. :#

I'll get back with you in a day or so... after I've had some time to process information gleaned so far. I'm keeping a running journal.

Thanx for your instant feedback! Nice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #49954 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Source for acronym/terminology translation
Jayne, so sorry to hear about your friend. She is very fortunate to have you in her corner.

First, her doctor may have a very good idea of what the diagnosis may be, but will not know specifically until the biopsy report is in. This should tell you what type of cancer it is (most bladder cancers are "TCC" or transitional cell carcinoma, but not all.) Also whether it is "high grade" (rapidly dividing and likely to spread) or "low grade" (slow growing.) The biopsy report should also indicate that muscle tissue...not just the bladder lining tissue...was included in the samples and whether or not the cancer has spread into the muscle and underlying tissue. Very often, the first TURB (transurethral resection of the bladder) is followed by a second. During a second biopsy the urologist has a much better idea of what areas need special attention, so do not be surprised if this is suggested.

Once your friend has a definitive diagnosis, a treatment plan needs to be discussed and decided on. IF the cancer has not spread into the muscle, but is "high grade," a course of BCG treatments may be suggested. If that is the case, we can discuss that further with you. If the cancer has spread into the muscle, the urologist may recommend bladder removal (cystectomy.) In many cases this is a complete cure, and there are many people here on the Forum leading full lives without their original bladder. Again, IF it comes to that, there are many here who can discuss this with you.

First, get the results of the biopsy (and get a COPY of the path report.) Then you will know what she might be facing and, if you want, we can help you interpret this and suggest things to discuss with the urologist. Also, remember that she has time to think this through and make whatever decisions need to be made. Nothing has to be done TOMORROW!

As for all the terminology and acronyms and abbreviations....WE can help there also. On our Home Page
bladdercancersupport.org
Under HELP at the top of the page, you will see "Researched Resources" and under it, a "Glossary of Terms." Soon you, too, will be an expert!!!

Please let us know if you have any other questions, and how the path report turns out.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: DougG

8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #49953 by JayneH
Friend for 63 years diagnosed 11/17/15 with "advanced" BC. Biopsy -11/18/15; results at followup appt 11/30/15. Having no family, she appointed me healthcare agent and asked me to assist her through end-stage. Such an honor and privilege!

I would surely appreciate some guidelines, helpful hints, and even help with questions for our next appointment. We're both reality based and insist on 'straight-talk' necessary for making our decision process easier.

Also, as my subject line suggests, I would appreciate a source for translating acronyms and abbreviations on this site into understandable words.

Any help or suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you!
JayneH

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne