In denial

11 years 9 months ago #42586 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic In denial
Of course, with your previous experience, you are naturally upset and afraid with this diagnosis. However, remember that your husband's cancer was apparently caught at a very early stage. At this point it is highly curable. He, and you, are very lucky.

The primary problem with this type of bladder cancer is that it comes back. Therefore, his urologist will become a very close friend, with appointments every three months for several years, to avoid having it return undetected. There will be many "ups and downs" for you to weather together. I am now four years out from my diagnosis and treatments with BCG. AND I am now on 6 month checkups rather than 3!! :cheer: BUT as the time draws close for my checkup, I get nervous also.

You and your husband can go through this together and have a long and happy life together. You will lean on each other. Just remember that he will need you to be strong so that he can feel able to share his thoughts with you, rather than hide them to protect you.

He is lucky to have you by his side.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 9 months ago #42585 by Helen Sandefur
In denial was created by Helen Sandefur
My husband learned a month ago that he has p1 stage 1 bladder cancer. I don't seem to be reacting to it like I should. I've had 5 friends and 2 inlaws die of cancer. Do you think that is the reason I may be in denial. That maybe I'm afraid he is going to die and I'm not accepting it? I need to be there for him. I want to be there for him, but I'm scared to let lose.

Helen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne