Caregivers support

16 years 4 weeks ago #15205 by Maria
Replied by Maria on topic Caregivers support

Your wages are taxed at source called National Insurance contributions which cover NHS, pension contributions and various benefits for unemployment (some families have never worked, most 'don't want to work' There is generations of families in the UK who are 100% dependent on the 'welfare state' and are supported quite generously by the government).....don't get me started on this one.

For the more vulnerable and genuine others due to illness who 'can't work' will receive long term sick benefits and additional benefits to assist with rent, mortgages etc. This is usually where carers (until the recent laws) were exploited and provided services to their loved ones 24/7, now I am pleased they receive the help they so desperately need.

Like here in the US it is the hard working middle class and seniors who seem to come off worse!

The NHS has some great hospitals but has been in crisis for years now resulting in poor service delivery, like here it just depends where you live. It is a well known fact people literally get off a flight in London and go straight to the ER for much needed treatments, no questions, no charges. This has been the downfall of the once great UK NHS.

Pat I could go on all night about the Uk system but will stop here.............just having a rant!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 weeks ago #15178 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Caregivers support
Here is a link to a brochure for caregivers...no financial help...but there are a few bills out there talking about this exact issue...maybe they can add it to their "pork spending" and push it through...it would be cheaper than some of the "Pet Projects" on Capital Hill...don't get me started....

www.caregiving.org/pubs/brochures/CFC.pdf

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 4 weeks ago #15165 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Caregivers support
Let us say that there is no support for family caregivers in the US as federal policy. There was an article in the newspaper here in Tucson that they are trying a program to pay caregivers however it would probably be minimum wage. For people on Disability some states have programs that pay for a personal care attendant but the person has to find someone to do the work. A spouse would not be paid to be a personal care attendant.
Social policy here is quite different between here an the UK or Canada.

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

16 years 4 weeks ago #15157 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Caregivers support
And what part of your income in the UK is taxed?.......
Pat

16 years 4 weeks ago #15156 by Maria
Caregivers support was created by Maria
As most of you know I am from the UK and the Government acknowledges the multiple tasks and stresses of caring. Most carers are paid an allowance and the government have a scheme to continue paying into the equivalent of the US social security system to ensure their Pensions are protected because they can't work and chose to care for their loved ones. Caregivers in the UK are undervalued as it seems here in the US. They save the government millions in services they provide 24/7.
It is now law that a caregiver is offered an assessment by the Social Services Dept to try and meet their needs and continued support during difficult times.

I am amazed at the seemingly lack of support here in the US offered to carers for any kind of services (please correct me if I am wrong but there does not seem anything available that does not cost a lot of $$$) such as respite care and care with practical issues. If in the UK a carer needs a rest services can be provided at little cost to the family.

Is the lack of acknowledgment and clear lack of support for caregivers here not a critical issue which can be taken up by your Senators?

I do not know what is available out there and would be interested what is, if you could let me know ???

Sorry about the rambling, hope this makes sense, if not, its the steroids which have helped my dizziness great and I am feeling so much better today.

Maria xx

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne