Not diagnosed but scared, need kind words

15 years 5 months ago #22487 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Not diagnosed but scared, need kind words
There are many things that could be going on with you that are not bladder cancer. You are doing the right thing going to a good Urologist and checking it out. To help him know that the blood you are seeing is not coming from a female problem try the tampon test. Simply insert a tampon and make sure it is there when you urinate. If there is blood in the urine and the tampon is clean this is good information for your Urologist. I know it is hard but until you know for sure what you are dealing with try to relax and be good to yourself.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 5 months ago #22486 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Not diagnosed but scared, need kind words
Obbie,

How have you aleady ruled out female issues? I have all of the above symptoms and no tumor (well, I haven't had the blood in a long time, but when I did have blood, it was bucketloads more than you have had.)

How was it ruled out??

Ro

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

15 years 5 months ago #22485 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Not diagnosed but scared, need kind words
HPV of the bladder is rare but it does happen and you want to make sure you're at a top notch medical center with a great pathologist as it will mimic blc ..
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2830802
I would certainly alert them to the fact that you've had HPV.
But having said that don't panic....hopefully you will have a cystoscopy on Monday and a bit more knowledge at that point.
As for CIS the histologic pattern of CIS is characterized by bizarre, abnormal cells in the epithelial layer. The cells appear to be high-grade cancers; thus, they are readily detected in cytology specimens.

The pathologist may have difficulty distinguishing between cellular atypia and CIS. A consultant should review the slides if the pathologist is uncertain or diagnoses atypia. Upon further review, these cases usually prove to be CIS. The distinction is important because CIS requires therapy and atypia can be managed with observation. Finally, some pathologists attempt to grade CIS; however, CIS is not graded. An associated papillary tumor would be graded as low or high grade
My best advise is to make sure you are with a top notch urologist and top medical or cancer center.
Pat

15 years 5 months ago #22484 by eddiek
Replied by eddiek on topic Not diagnosed but scared, need kind words
Hello Obbie66,

You are taking the correct action based upon your symptoms. Until you are seen by a urologist, bladder cancer is only a possiblity. Following your appointment on Monday you'll have more information on what is causing your symptoms. Between now and then, there are users on this site that will hopefully also respond to your post with their thoughts and experiences.

My wife Cynthia is a bladder cancer survivor and is a good source for information. If you are interested in real-time responses, please consider attending the "chat" on Sunday evening at 8:00 p.m. (ET). It's a good group of folks with a lot of experience as either survivors or care givers.

Please know that we're here to help and support, so keep us posted on how you are doing!

Ed K.

Edward J. Kinsella
American Bladder Cancer Society
Board of Directors - Treasurer/Secretary

& Caregiver

15 years 5 months ago #22483 by obbie66
I've joined this group because I'm having very scary symptoms and have to see a urologist on Monday. I did the usual frantic internet search and self-diagnosed myself with carcinoma in situ based on my symptoms: frequency/urgency, irritation, and two instances of a tiny pink stain on the toilet paper after voiding last week. Urine culture showed no infection, no RBCs, no WBCs, nothing. Also I had HPV in the past and have convinced myself that it's doomed me to this aggressive form of bladder cancer. Yes, I am a hypochondriac, but THIS time I can't imagine ANYTHING but a terrible diagnosis, although I am hoping like heck that I have interstitial cystitis and not cancer. If anyone has anything encouraging to tell me, I sure would appreciate hearing from you! And my thoughts and prayers are with all of you as well.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne