What exactly does this mean?

16 years 5 months ago #10466 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic What exactly does this mean?

Second opinions can never hurt but it seems according to Ceri and Steve it appears they are both satisfied with their Dr. and it is not the first time they saw him from what I read. So since there is no cancer at this point I think their Dr. is making the correct diagnosis.If it were me I be quite satisfied with a cysto follow up in 3 months. So good luck with your follow up. Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #10461 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic What exactly does this mean?
Ceri

First: Atypia Cells DO NOT necessarily mean they are "Pre-Cancerous" but they do show that the area of the biopsy is at risk of developing cancer. Otherwise they
are called "Pre-Canerous Cells" or Lesions. This is I am sure why your husband is continually getting checked, and having follow-up cytos. Because they feel he is at risk of developing carcinoma in sitsu.

Definition:

Atypia--is a term used to describe cells that have lost their normal appearance by have not reached the abnormality of cancer cells.

Second: Second opinions are always good. It can not hurt to get one. If your next appointment with this Dr. is in 3 months, that is a long time to wait without knowing for sure that the test were correct, and that they were also interpreted correctly.

I think that if after the second opinion with the same conclusion, then you basically got the all clear for alittle while. You will still have to have the follow-ups to keep it at bay. The reason you are under care is because he is at an increase risk right? Well the "Atypia" cells are just proving that. You said that the last 3 biopsies showed the same thing.

Possitive Thoughts For you,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 5 months ago #10459 by timb
Replied by timb on topic What exactly does this mean?
Ceri

Steve's diagnosis and age are pretty similar to mine and I'd also want clarification in his situation - and letters sent in plain english! I went down the BCG route and eventually went for a cystectomy when my tumours recurred. I think I went for it earlier than I should have done but am really very happy with the result. Im in Bristol. If steve ever wants to sound out any decisions with anyone Id be happy to pass on my details if ever you guys PM me.

all the best

tim

16 years 5 months ago #10458 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic What exactly does this mean?
Ceri,

From what you describe about your Urologist and Pathologist I think you can hope for the best here.

Also, it sounds like Steve has already been around the block with this disease.

Just curious, how long since Steves' initial diagnosis?

Very best regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 5 months ago #10449 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic What exactly does this mean?
Atypia is a term that pathologists use to describe cells that appear to be in the process of turning cancerous.
You might ask them to futher elucidate on that.
Pat

16 years 5 months ago #10445 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic What exactly does this mean?
"Atypia" just means that the cells look different from "Normal" cells, but only slightly.

A second opinion can never hurt. If you asked the Dr. himself, "Would you get a second opinion if this was you"?, the answer would be yes...

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne