Idea For Everyone on this site......

16 years 6 months ago #8510 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Idea For Everyone on this site......
Rosie,

maybe that is what we should be advocating to change then...Something needs to be done. Isn't it considered preventative medicine. It would actually cost less to catche it early, or prevent it than to treat it...

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #8509 by Rosie
Replied by Rosie on topic Idea For Everyone on this site......
Karen and all this is reminiscent of a discussion we had seven years ago on the acor web cafe email group. The discussion is on the Bladder Cancer Web Cafe main site under Trench Talk under the catagory of woman and blood in urine.blcwebcafe.org/trenchtalkwomen.asp and blcwebcafe.org/trenchtalkdelayeddx.asp At that time, I did some investigations and learned that routine urine tests are no longer covered by most insurance providers. I was quite suprised to learn of that as testing of the blood and urine are the best non-invasive medical tests that can be done to ascertain the state of one's health. Years ago, urine tests, were standard anytime there was a check up. Rosie

16 years 6 months ago #8502 by momof4
Pat

They were concerned enough about the microscopic blood to cancel my husbands elective surgery. He was then refered to the Uro who put a man who was a 46 yr old, white, MALE, smoker, with blood in his urine, on ANTIBIOTICS!!! (notice all of the warning signs???????) It seems like these medical "professionals" are missing something!!!, I don't know if it is the insurance companies trying to save money, the doctors not knowing what the hell they are doing, or the total lack of concern...Somewhere down the line something is geting lost...The warning signs are all there but they are dropping the ball all over the country (and the world it seems)... I am concerned with getting this out there anyway we can. I am going to talk with a local reporter on Friday AM

16 years 6 months ago #8498 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Idea For Everyone on this site......
Unless you have gross hematura they don't seem to pay much attention to blood in the urine. And routine urinalysis doesn't seem to happen anymore and they're not concerned about microscopic blood if they do happen to see it. I think public awareness and advocacy is the way to go....I tell people that i had bladder cancer and they say "I've never heard of that"......Pat

16 years 6 months ago #8494 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Idea For Everyone on this site......
Karen October is Breast Cancer Awareness month what we need to do is get a month or something out there to make people aware of bladder cancer because it seems to be a cancer that more and more people are getting. Something like that would help. Joe ;)

Karen I posted this for Wendy something like this for bladder Cancer be real nice

blcforum.com/smf/index.php/topic,1156.0.html

16 years 6 months ago #8493 by momof4
Hi Joe,

I see your point. But maybe if they were checking the urine, as they do in a pre-op blood test, there would be microscopic blood in the urine. That is what happened last year when my husband was getting pre-op testing for an elective surgery. They found microscopic blood in his urine, and out came the anti-biotics. Then in April he had blood in his urine, went to the emergency room, and was sent home with more antibiotics. They didn't even check for Cancer until he went to the emergency room in June, and couldn't pee at all. It just seems to me, there were so many chances to catch this that were missed! I want to save someone if not everyone (I know that is alittle ambicious) from going through this and I am trying to find out how to accomplish that.

Karen

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne