Mets are back :(

10 years 3 months ago #45675 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Mets are back :(
I'm Mike and I also agree with Sara Anne!

Here is a note I sent to folks at work. If a similar thing winds up being in your future, maybe the note will be helpful. It was cathartic for me and I've received some incredible replies.

Mike

Team,

It is more difficult writing this email than it was for me to get the news myself.

My metastatic bladder cancer has returned to several distant lymph nodes in my abdomen. I want to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for the time we’ve spent together at Alsbridge. I have certainly learned a lot and have enjoyed meeting and working together with you.

The support I have received from everyone in the firm has been phenomenal. I most sincerely appreciate everything!

We have discussed our options and my treatment has been switched to palliative care. That is, keep an eye on things and give me meds to keep me comfortable followed by hospice when the time comes. We hadn’t really expected curative to work given my advanced stage but it did for a short while and I’m very grateful for that.

While sobering of course, my situation is also quite liberating. Just yesterday at the grocery store I picked up a few items that I would not have purchased. J Liz and I are going to get some travel time in together and we’re sorting out plans. Yes, we will get travel insurance! I still remain a non-smoker and nothing is ever going to change that!

Doc says I have 6 to 12 months but that can fluctuate. I get another scan in a couple of months and that will help us understand the rate of progression. Nobody is really ever ready for this kind of thing but the writing has certainly been on the wall for me for quite some time now.

It has been a great ride and I have had an adventure packed life so far and have full intentions of cramming as much as I can into to end of the ride as well! I have been living my bucket list for most of my life. My family and I have traveled the world and lived in and celebrated other cultures, I’ve jumped from a plane, dived the great barrier reef (and other great spots around the world), seen the cherry blossoms of Tokyo in full bloom, and I’ve danced and laughed on almost every continent!

I will be smiling, laughing, crying, hugging and continuing to love life and love the people in my life for all I have left.
If I have brought a smile or laugh to you over our time together or helped you discover something good about yourself, then I’ve done my job. Life is to be lived and it must contain laughter!

My best to you all!

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 3 months ago #45672 by lizmcgarry
Replied by lizmcgarry on topic Mets are back :(
I'm Mike's wife Liz. I agree with Sara Ann!

10 years 3 months ago #45666 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Mets are back :(
Sorry I have taken till now to respond to your post. Sometimes when something hits me where I live I just stop talking and I did, then I had to get over raging about this blasted disease, you never get past that you just get better at not showing it on the outside. Then there is the finding the words thing sometimes words cannot truly explain or express in a true way, what are after all feeling of the heart.

But words can do many things they can comfort, they can give hope, they can inform, they can anchor others to reality. You have done all of those things on this forum with words and much more. You are at the very heart of our community and through your words we have all came to love and respect you deeply, your heart ache is ours.

This website was founded on the idea that it would be a community strong enough to withstand dealing with the hard stuff. That we could learn that there are times we don’t hear what we want to hear from our doctors. The answer is the same when hearing that you have bladder cancer no matter the stage even Mets. What next? How do I make this the best situation for myself under the circumstances I am now in?

Everyone that shares their journey here is leaving a living diary for others to read and not feel so alone and learn what might lighten their own journey, no matter their path. Mike I hope you keep posting many times when things get tough posting will tail off with some. They worry that something might scare the newbies that don’t understand what the odds are. You are part of our community and we need to hear from you we care about you.

Remember my friend we are here for you just as you have always been there for us.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society
The following user(s) said Thank You: lizmcgarry

10 years 3 months ago #45661 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Mets are back :(
Thanks all!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

10 years 3 months ago #45660 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Mets are back :(
Mike

I'm so sorry to read this post.
Maybe in a few days I can say something without a string of @#$#@%^&$%#@ coming out.

But for now my friend........ I'm sorry to hear this.

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

10 years 3 months ago #45651 by harleygirl
Replied by harleygirl on topic Mets are back :(
I'm so sorry to hear your news. I hate this damned disease.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne