News keeps getting worse...

15 years 6 months ago #22185 by newbie08
Replied by newbie08 on topic News keeps getting worse...
Hi Mel,
I'm so sorry to read that you, your dad and family are going through such a horrible and tough time, it really is awful. There are no words i can say, I just want you to know that I'm thinking and praying for you all. Hang in there and take one day at a time!!

I hope your dad can make your wedding and that ye can enjoy the day together as a family.

Take care x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 6 months ago #22085 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic News keeps getting worse...
Mel, we are at the Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Illinois, and I just happened to log in. Pat suggested I might have some helpful suggestions, and I'm glad to try.

My husband had a nephrostomy tube for several months, like Maria, and, you can learn to deal with it. It's a learning process. What works for someone might not work for you, and vice versa.

First things first. He can shower, if they OK it, by putting a tegaderm patch over the nephrostomy bandage. Is he having any pain from the stitches? If not, good, and you can change the bandages yourself. If so, he needs to talk to the interventionl radiology people about adjusting them, because there is no reason for the stitches to pull.

Second, if the bandage itself is painful, you can adjust on that, too. I used make-up sponges, with a channel cut out, to keep the tube perpendicular to the body before it made the bend to lie flat with the bandage. If you can't use those, use a folded gauze patch under it. It will feel better than a bend right out of the "hole."

Position the patch under the tube, bend it over, and hold it onto the skin with the tegaderm. Did they send some home with him? If not, you can call the hospital, but they will charge you an arm and a leg. I just ordered a supply off the web. You don't need a prescription. They are a thin clear adhesive patch that will keep the water off the site.

then the tube should be anchored to his side. That anchor will not need to be changed as often as the bandage over the hole. You can adjust those anchors when you change then, to give you some slack if you need it. Those, too, you can order from the web.

Third, the nephrostomy itself should heal pretty well, and you can change the bandages with him lying on his back. We found that sometimes we got a better job done by him lying on his knees with his butt up, so that it stretched the skin. Sort of the "Cat" of the yoga "Cat/Cow", if you know what I mean.

The bags themselves will drive him nuts until he finds a way to carry them with him. We bought a little apron with a pocket to use, and Doran sewed a pocket that went on his belt. The leg bag straps fall off a lot, and we lost a lot of them until we switched to a waist bag.

For rinsing, keep a plastic squeeze bottle of water mixed with vinegar to rinse down the sink, and to rinse the bags, and you won't have an odor problem.

That's probably more than you want to know right now, but let me know if this helps.

I'm sure Julie will chime in when she gets a break. I'm anxious to hear how Dick is doing. Hugs, Julie!

Mel, I hope the plans for the wedding are going well. Is your dad able to walk yet? If not, a wheelchair waltz down the aisle would work, too.....you'll just have to fight over who pushes, right?

Remember, tegaderm, make-up pads, vinegar. If you want to know more, let me know. I'll try to keep watch on the site, but our schedule here is fluctuating.

Stephany in Iowa

15 years 6 months ago #22075 by Maria
Replied by Maria on topic News keeps getting worse...
Hi Mel, I had a nephrostomy tube for 6 months and one stent. The bladder tumor was 3/4 size of my bladder and causing an obstruction.
Nephrostomy tubes take a while to adjust to and at times I felt it was nothing but a nuisance, but it was necessary and essential!

I had my draiange bag attached by a velcro waist band and I made a shoulder bag to put the drainage bag in. Obviously this option may not be realistic for your Dad, I know Stephany made a bag for her husband, I am sure she will chime in soon.

I was advised not to shower for a few days, after that when I showered I used to put the drainage bag into a freezer bag and tape securely which worked really well. The dressing is easy to change, just gauze and tape. I was advised if the area looked red to apply an antibiotic ointmrnt which worked really well for me.
The biggest problem I had was the tube catching onto things and pulling.
After a while your Dad will get used to the tube and bag.

Good luck and I hope your Dad feels well enough to see you married.

Maria xx

15 years 6 months ago #22065 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic News keeps getting worse...
I typed a long explanation of how I dressed the tubes and it got lost. I'll try again tomorrow as I'm too tired now.

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

15 years 6 months ago #22063 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic News keeps getting worse...
Hi Mel...was hoping Stephanie would chime in here as she was most clever with dealing with Dorans' nephrostomy tube. I'm kind of surprised they didn't give you a sheet of how to care for it??...i know you can wear clothing..you just have to somehow pin the bag to the clothing so it doesn't pull on it or twist it. I guess they want him to take sponge baths as its a real production to take a shower...I found this from the U of Michigan...but i would certainly try to get some more info from maybe the nurses? And i'll alert Stephany..
www.med.umich.edu/1libr/urology/postcare/pernephrostomy.htm
Pat

15 years 6 months ago #22060 by Mel09
Replied by Mel09 on topic News keeps getting worse...
Question: My father came home today and was told that he cannot shower....is he supposed to just sponge bathe?

Also, is it possible to wear clothes over the bags?

Thanks again!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne