Back to the hospital

15 years 6 months ago #21892 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Back to the hospital
Thanks you everyone for your caring and suggestions. My son-in-laws Mother is giving him her frequent flyer miles so both of them can come. This way Karl can watch Kaspian (19 months old) while our daughter visits and they can both watch him when they are at our house. They will be staying in a motel. My sister is coordinating obtaining the tickets and scheduling. While I had manual labor I had our son help me get more patio blocks as we decided the path needed to be wider. He also set up the trickle charger on the battery on our spare car which I will let visitors use to go back and forth to their hotels.
Tomorrow the screen porch will get sorted out by our son before we visit the hospital. He leaves tomorrow afternoon. The good news is he and his family will be back at Christmas.

I managed to catch the DR. this morning. We are talking about a Wednesday release if he continues to improve. Dick wheezed most of the day. I asked that he get breathing treatments more often. I also interviewed another hospice agency. Then I had an overload of interviews and just sat the rest of the afternoon. Geoff (son) and I went out to an Indonesian place for dinner and home for desert and glass of wine.

A massage sound good right not. I will see if I can get one this week. My shoulders and neck are aching.

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 6 months ago #21883 by harry s
Replied by harry s on topic Back to the hospital
Everyone's responses have "covered the bases",I agree with all said...but I did want to chime in that you and Dick continue to be in my prayers, for strength, comfort, and peace. Margot and Harry

15 years 6 months ago #21867 by jerrysgirl
Replied by jerrysgirl on topic Back to the hospital
When Jerry was in the worst of his chemo last year, our son and his wife and their almost 2 year old wanted to come visit for the day. Before I could catch my breath they sweetly said they'd booked a room nearby with an indoor pool. Our granddaughter thought it was all an adventure. We were able to go there, sit inside by the pool with her, and Jerry was able to go to their room to lay down to rest before joining us for another poolside visit. Then we returned home so Jerry and our granddaughter could both get their naps in. The kids brought supper and visited for a short while out here.
This was a great way to see them, and not wear anyone out. And the added bonus of Allyson never realizing something was up with PeePaw. She didn't cry when it was time to go as she was excited about going back to the pool.

The hotel route is a great sanity saver!
Keeping you all lifted up in prayer.

Traci

15 years 6 months ago #21864 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic Back to the hospital
Julie, I am SO glad you guys had the time at Joe's. And the UTI does come on fast, we both know. You were very good to get it recognized and taken care of so fast.

And good job with the ER. I have taken to carryng a list of meds, past history, and pertinent test results, updated with each visit, just like you suggested. At our ER admission last week, I just handed it to them, and they copied it.

Clear out those visitors. When they ask what they can do, give them a list of household chores....shopping, cooking, freezing, gardening, and cleaning. Tell them it is for your sanity, and you really really appreciate their help. Tell your grandson to record a story for Grandpa. He can play it back to himself and have a great time, and then Grandpa can record as story back, without exposing either to infections.

There....that's all my advice for today. Take care of yourself, and get a massage next week. You got through the worst of it.

Is Dick on any antibiotics full time for the UTI's? Doran just came home Saturday with macrodantin.

Stephany in Iowa

15 years 6 months ago #21860 by Webs
Replied by Webs on topic Back to the hospital
Julie,
So sorry that Dick is back in the hospital with a UTI. You guys can't seem to get a break. I am glad that Dick got to enjoy Joe's Crab Shack before this hit. Definately have the high maintenence visitors stay in a hotel. This will be less stressful for you and them. Sending you big hugs (((Julie)).

Charlotte

15 years 6 months ago #21851 by TheWifeAgain
Replied by TheWifeAgain on topic Back to the hospital
You're amazing Julie. Sorry you keep having all of these situations thrown at you. You sure do handle them with a level head.

I love Lisa's idea of the high maintenance company staying at a hotel. I can think of a few visitors that I would love to have stay at a hotel. I would even pay for it just for my own sanity!

Take care. You are an inspiration to me.

Age 53 Currently
Bladder Cancer Diagnosis October 2006 T1G3
2011 Finally made it 6 month between Cystos
8/22/2011 Cysto in the OR
(BCG and BCG Maintenance over the years)
Graduated to yearly Cystos
Tumor found at first one year Cysto - TURBT 4/26/2013
Kidney pain - CT scan 5/1/2013

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne