Continent Diversion - Indiana pouch - questions and concerns

16 years 6 months ago #9267 by mznoregrets
Ps They thought I was stage 2 but ended up stage 3 grade 3 at cysectomy. I think that is why the chemo afterwards. I had had 2 turbts before rc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #9266 by mznoregrets
Lol Joe - you are a card! I don't drink like I did as when younger...just once in a while I sure enjoy a few :) Take care, Holly

16 years 6 months ago #9262 by Mike
Holly I saw that smirnoffs and more power to you. I was a trucker went out on disability and then my beer drinking took off, my job kept me honest. So I finally quit but I was thinking now I am glad I did. The way I put down my beers and having "Herman" my Indiana Pouch I be cathing 3x an hour where now I only have to once about every 4 hours. It just would not be as much fun as it once was when I never had to worry about my bladder. I had a question say I was still drinking and I had to go and I was outside could they still get me for indescent exposure I don't think so that would be the only good thing to come out of it for me lol. Hard for a cop to run you in and say hey I just caught this guy peeing out a rubber hose lol. God that is some good BC humor. Take Care Holly, Joe ;)

16 years 6 months ago #9260 by mznoregrets
Hi Liz,

Being diagnosed is certainly life changing - it seems you are keeping your wits about you, too :)
I was diagnosed in January 2007 and I had the neobladder done with robotics at Mayo's in Minnesota. Making the decision was hard - I also leaned toward the Indiana pouch as it seemed less intimidating but my dr did convince me to go the neobladder route which I had done on March 13, 2007. Then I started 4 months of strong chemo which didn't end until July 30th, so training the neobladder was hard with all the diuretics in chemo. However, I am pleased with it now. I do not have to self cath nor have I ever had to. I have daytime continence, and nighttime continence is very good. If I overtire myself or have a few smirnoffs - well I may not wake up as quickly as I should to stay dry. I do not set an alarm either at night - I just feel a cramp and get up and go lol.
Should I be able to answer anything for you - just let me know - I check in here everyday. You are in my prayers, Holly

16 years 6 months ago #9252 by lizt2g3
Eileen & Mike,
Good luck on your upcoming surgery, mine is set for 11/15. Did you decide yet which type of diversion you will go with? I am having the same dilema. I want the neobladder but I am afraid of the 'problems' that could arise. It seems most people are happy with it after they learn how to use it and gain continence. But on the other hand the Indiana Pouch appears to have less complications, but requires you to carry around supplies to evacuate. What to do? I just don't know.

16 years 6 months ago #9224 by Patricia
What did i tell you...little Rosebud just had a learning curve..and now that she knows how much she's appreciated she is behaving with just a few burps ... now if you put that in perspective ..say when you first came home with your babies..what was it about 6 months before you could not put a towel over your shoulder for the spit-up?...This is a piece of cake!! Anyway congratulations and isn't great not to be sleep deprived anymore? Hmmmmm...the baby thing again ;D
Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne