New Neobladder

11 years 1 week ago #44570 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic New Neobladder
Warren
After all the surgery and scarring and pain is over........ incontinence remains as your faithful warm friend.

I am about to celebrate 5 years free of this dreaded disease. But my "little friend" is still around as a reminder. I am able to go without any "pads" during the day, and most nights are "dry."
And then, for some reason...... I wake up surprised and wet! Lucky for me.... my wife has a good sense of priority, and we just "deal with it"

I guess, with all the good things that have happened, this is my reminder of what I went through.

I wish you the best.... and Dryness! But it will take time. It gets better ... but VERY slowly indeed!

Sincerely
George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 1 week ago #44568 by Humpy
Replied by Humpy on topic New Neobladder
Hi Warren, Congrats on your NEO. Unfortunately, improvement is measured in week/months, not days. You are doing the right thing by "trying" to void every two hours. Then three, and finally four. Be patient. This will be the most humbling thing you will ever experience. It took me 3 months before I was confident enough to leave the house with out protection. You will be able to look back and laugh in the near future. Trust me.

Wet is better than dead, Jim

Age 54
T1NOMX,Grade 3 Urothelial CIS (Carcinoma in Situ)
Neobladder 5/19/2009
Prostate Capsule Sparing
U of M Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan

11 years 1 week ago #44563 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic New Neobladder
I could have joked that maybe my patients would appreciate that I'm wearing diapers just like them, but the ones who are that young wouldn't appreciate it anyway.
I think I've mastered what makes the difference in whether or not the Gee Whiz stays on, and the Afex seems good for daytime use which takes care of work. I haven't been sitting home. I've used diapers over the Gee Whiz in case of detachment. I don't think that would work with the Afex, but if I feel it slip, I can adjust it externally, hopefully discreetly. And I travel with a bag that has a change of pants, underwear, equipment, pads, and diapers, so hopefully I can detect a potential problem and deal with it before I have to explain to a patient or parent why I'm sitting in a puddle.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

11 years 1 week ago #44562 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic New Neobladder
Sorry to hear you're seeing no improvement with the leakage. Will that impact your plans to go back to work? Hopefully one of those options will get you through a day at the office, or partial day, in the beginning. I know how anxious you are to get back there.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

11 years 1 week ago #44561 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic New Neobladder
Hi Catherine,
Most things are great, and I've been feeling well since I'm home. Unfortunately the incontinence has not improved one iota. I've even observed dripping when I thought I was doing my best to hold it in. I'm trying to do my kegels regularly. I've been experimenting with a variety of devices. Diapers were awful. I felt like I was sitting in a swamp, and I had to wake up at least every 2 hours to change the padding. And I would still sometime overflow and have to change my clothes.
My next experiment was with a condom catheter called Gee Whiz. Unfortunately it has to be applied without being tight enough to restrict blood flow or urine flow through the urethra, but it can't be too lose or it can slip off. I've had days where I thought it was going great, and then middle of the day disaster strikes. I think I've mastered it, but as with any catheter, internal or external, one finds that he restricts movement so as to not pull on it, plus it and the leg bag become irritating after a while.
Now I'm trying the Afex system which is a brief with a built in receptacle and a bag that hangs directly from it. For vigorous activity the bag can be strapped to the leg of the brief. It's good for daytime use, but won't work well for lying down since it depends on gravity and doesn't seal with the body.
I have one more type of device on order and will finally decide what's best. Unfortunately, all of these devices would work more reliably on someone who is well endowed, and each of them has the potential for leakage or detachment depending on how one moves.
I have an appointment with my urologist next week and we'll see if he can offer any help.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

11 years 1 week ago #44560 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic New Neobladder
Hello Warren... I hope things have gotten better for you since your last post here. Thinking of you and wishing you improvement with each passing day.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN
The following user(s) said Thank You: wsilberstein

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne