Needing a surgeon for RC

13 years 11 months ago #32150 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Needing a surgeon for RC
Thanks Gracie..i felt sure he did and sent off an email to him..they really need to educate who answers the phone a bit better don't ya think? I usually ask for the doctors nurse if i really want to find something out!!
pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 11 months ago #32148 by Gracie
Replied by Gracie on topic Needing a surgeon for RC
I haven't had an opportunity to look in lately - in the midst of selling home, moving. Saw your post. I also have an Indiana pouch. Before my surgery I went for second opinions - Dr. O'donnell was one of them (loved Iowa in November!). He advised me to get the Indiana pouch - so I know he does them.

You may want to speak to some one other then the receptionist. Dr. O'Donnell has an exceptional reputation.

I ultimately had my surgery done @ UCSF with Dr. Konety. Amazing surgeon. He did a fantastic job. He is no longer with UCSF but is with the University of Minnesota.

I wish you the very best - you've got great mentors on this site.

Gracie

13 years 11 months ago #32141 by Patricia
OK...i'm looking into that one for you.
In Chicago ..the best is at the U. of Chicago..Dr. Gary Steinberg..i know he does the Indiana..he did Cynthias.....
www.ucurology.org/faculty/gary-d-steinberg-md-facs
Now the birthplace of the Indiana Pouch and if anyone there tells you they don't know what it is should be fired is IU Medical Center in Indianapolis, Indiana..part of the Clarion system..Dr. Richard Bihrle
www.clarian.org/portal/Clarian/findadoctor?paf_gear_id=4700021&paf_dm=full&paf_gm=content&task_name=displayBio&contactId=474
AS for finding someone to follow up..what i did as noone knows what the heck an Indiana is around here...is call all the hospitals in the area and talked to the stoma nurses and ask them which uro's at least know what it is. I found one group who agreed to follow up with me. I went in the beginning for them just to check me out...and now only to do the occasional urine test or they remind me to have my Bl2 checked. All my CT scans and blood work up or chest x-rays done at the local hospital and sent to both my original surgeon and the current uro's.
Pat

13 years 11 months ago #32135 by jillo
Replied by jillo on topic Needing a surgeon for RC
Well, I called the University of Iowa where Dr. O'donnell is to see if he does the Indiana, and the receptionist didn't know what the Indiana was. When I explained it, she said he did the Neobladder. So, I've thought about maybe looking at Chicago. Any suggestions on a dr there? Also, what happens with after care or emergencies if no one within 9 hours of me knows how to do the Indiana?

13 years 11 months ago #32038 by Jeff F
Replied by Jeff F on topic Needing a surgeon for RC
Don't rule out the ilial conduit if you are concerned with leaking and self-cathing. Of course, there is maintenance involved with the bag. I change my pouch every 4 days. I empty my nightbag once a day. That's about it other than the occasional unexpected leak. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I didn't want to risk an outcome I couldn't handle. Best of luck.

BC diagnosed 01/2007
Cystoscopes and Miomyacin in 2007
R/C ilial conduit 04/27/2008

13 years 11 months ago #31979 by Patricia
Jillo...yep one of the best is at the U of Iowa..Michael O'Donnell
www.uihealthcare.com/depts/med/urology/urologymds/odonnell.html

Its kind of interesting jillo..but some of the best places for men to go is not the best for females to go...imagine not doing an Indiana at a hugh place like Mayo.??? HUH...
When i was diagnosed with invasive T2a bladder cancer i made sure i went to the top doc in uro/surgery at MSK in NYC. He got all the tumor and margins the local uro missed. He also did NOT in no uncertain terms want to do an Indiana. I had done my research and i knew what i wanted. What he did for me was buy me time to research who did do the Indiana and who did it well. Mayo was not on my list. Indiana was, U. of Chicago was, USC/Norris was...actually there is one surgeon at MSK ..a female Dr. Donat at MSK who does them. U. of Penn does them..... I don't understand their predjudice on doing the Indiana..its wierd..its also harder to do than the neo. I've had mine for almost 8 yrs...some early training some early complications but no more than the neo.
I truthfully do not know if O'Donnell does the Indiana but i do know he's one of the top uro/surgeons in the US...you could phone and ask..
pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne