Once again it is always something

14 years 2 months ago #30043 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Once again it is always something
Ok..this is way out there from our friends abroad and may be laughable to your docs...however for what its worth
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10987397
JSLS. 2000 Jul-Sep;4(3):215-20.

Holmium laser incision technique for ureteral stricture using a small-caliber ureteroscope.
Hibi H, Mitsui K, Taki T, Mizumoto H, Yamamda Y, Honda N, Fukatsu H.

Department of Urology, Aichi Medical University, Nagakute, Japan. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES: The holmium laser has a short absorption depth in tissue and possesses excellent properties both in ablation and hemostasis. We have performed endoscopic incision for ureteral stricture using the holmium laser through a small-caliber ureteroscope. METHODS: This method was used on five patients and seven ureters. The etiology of the stricture was stone scar in two patients, ureteroenteroanastomosis of Indiana urinary pouch in two, and primary in one. We used an 8F semi-rigid or 6.9F flexible ureteroscope. No prior procedures, such as balloon dilation, were necessary in any of the cases. The stricture was incised with the holmium laser using a 365-microm fiber through the working channel of the ureteroscope. The holmium laser operated at a wavelength of 2100 nm, with an output of 1.0 J/pulse at a rate of 10 Hz. After completion of the incision, a 12F Double-J catheter was left in for six weeks. RESULTS: The mean operative time was 89 minutes. The stricture resolved completely in all cases at an average follow-up of 8.6 months. CONCLUSIONS: The holmium laser incision for ureteral stricture using a small-caliber ureteroscope is an easy-to-perform, safe and effective procedure.

PMID: 10987397 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
The topic has been locked.
14 years 2 months ago #30042 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Once again it is always something
Harley and Babsie.

I have had a great deal of pelvic radiation and the assumption because of the position of the scar tissue is that it is from the surgery but exacerbated by the prior radiation. The infection itself was caused by the blockage of the kidney.

Bobsie, I have a neph tube in now draining the kidney but the stent will only be in until surgery to keep things open so will not have to be replaced.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society
14 years 2 months ago #30039 by harleygirl
Replied by harleygirl on topic Once again it is always something
Cynthia, sorry to hear of the latest developments. My main question is how did the scar tissue form? Did the infection cause it? I thought scar tissue was only formed as the result of a trauma such as surgery. Was this a delayed reaction resulting from when you had the original RC? Does anyone really know what caused the scar tissue to form? I hope you knock out this infection and get better real soon.
14 years 2 months ago #30038 by Babsiebob
Replied by Babsiebob on topic Once again it is always something
Sorry Cynthia for all of the negative news. Speaking from a stent patient, I hope that you will be able to go the same route as I, it is not bad at all. I do have to make arrangements to have it changed when I go amywhere for any length of time but I guess that can be worked out too. Just don't give up, and things will work out. You are in my prayers.

Babsie

Dx 4-28-08
pT3a no mo
Rc with Ileal Conduit on 6-09-08
2nd surgery on 6-27-09 for ureter leak
Renal failure on 7-01-09 nephy tube and then stent on 7-09-09
so far so good
14 years 2 months ago #30037 by Andy
Replied by Andy on topic Once again it is always something
Good thoughts, positive vibes, and prayers are coming your from Michigan. I'm glad you are so knowledgeable as I'm sure that will help you with a positive outcome. Hang in there!

Andy
14 years 2 months ago #30035 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Once again it is always something
Dang!

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne