Here we are night before RC

15 years 1 month ago #24864 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Here we are night before RC
Hi Nanny.......glad you're home. The first few months after cystectomy are a learning curve...what you could eat before you react to now....bowels are angry and , of course, have every right to be!!;) It just takes a while to figure out the culprits.
I found i was one way or the other...couldn't go or couldn't get to the bathroom fast enough. I kept a diary of what i ate...but quickly learned my culprits...mine happened to be milk products which produced not only mucus in my new pouch but also diarhea. With some people its citrus......Just hang in there and try to figure what the offending food/drink is. I had a lousy appetite when i first came home but i also knew i needed to eat the right categories.....one little trick the stoma nurses told me was to eat a banana a day...not only a good source of potassium but good for bulk in the intestines.
It will get better Nanny.........so glad you're home.
Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 1 month ago #24858 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Here we are night before RC
Congrats on getting out of the hospital early. How many days were you in?

I had an ileus complication so I couldn't go at all for a week. Trust me, a day or two of stool incontinence is a better thing that an ileus.
My doc had said there might be a couple of issues with stool after the surgery due to the intestinal resection. If they used large intestine it could be a bit different than small intestine resection.

Do NOT overdo it once you are home. Rest, rest, and then rest some more. Eat small amounts and no big meal for a while.

Pain meds can interfere with bowel function also so you do want to be careful with that.

If you have more stool incontinence issues, you should let your doctor know. Not from an "oh my, there is a problem" standpoint, just that he/she should know about it.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

15 years 1 month ago #24857 by Betsy Mae
Replied by Betsy Mae on topic Here we are night before RC
Hi!

Glad to hear you finally had surgery! Hope all goes well with your recovery - just remember to take it easy and look after yourself.

Betsy Mae

15 years 1 month ago #24855 by Quiltingnanny
Replied by Quiltingnanny on topic Here we are night before RC
Well here I am about to go home from my RC. It is sooner than I thought it would be and I feel totaly inadequate to take care of everything, but thhey said they would have a nurse out to the house tommrow. Since I had to go to a hospital so far away from home I have to get help from the local hospital system which had been my first choice. Can someone please tell me if the incontinence of stool will continue or was it a one day thing? For whatever reason this is now my number one fear. I thought I could handle what this thing threw at me but that is too much. I also can't wait to control my own pain meds, at least if I feel the need for it "10 minutes early" I can have it. You get the feeling they think you are already becoming a drug adict. One funny thing that has happened - my overly intelligent nurse wanted to check my vaginal area and said " ohhhhhhhh your folley fell out". Bobbie who is going home in the rain in GA today.

15 years 1 month ago #24842 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic Here we are night before RC
Have prayed that Gator's surgery went well and recovery is happening as it should...takes time...lots of time...but after surgery, you have lots of time cause you don't feel up to doing anything but allowing the body to heal itself.
Patience is a real virtue and that is usually learned following a RC...take one day at a time. Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #24780 by eddiek
Replied by eddiek on topic Here we are night before RC
Gator444,

Some items to consider:

> Following RC w/Indiana pouch, the intestines will be adjusting from the prep for surgery, the surgery, and the recovery.

> We found that frequent, small, easy to digest meals were better than fewer large meals; 5 or 6 a day, more like "snacks". Foods like eggs or buttered pasta are good; even jello or shakes.

> Intestinal pain during recovery is not uncommon, so avoid foods/beverages that would normally cause digestive problems; bland is probably best, just like if a patient was experiencing a GI virus or "flu".

> Exercise helps with the recovery process, so make sure that he keeps going when he returns home.

> Lots of fluids are also good.

> The new "bladder" will need to be "trained" to hold an increasing amount of fluid. Your doctor will advise on a schedule for how often the "bladder" should be emptied. Since this also must be during during sleep, consider buying some inexpense alarm clocks that can be set to different times; avoids having to reset one alarm clock several times each night.

Surgery and recovery can be a hectic time, so please keep us posted on his progress when you are able.

You and your husband will be in our thoughts!

Ed K.

Edward J. Kinsella
American Bladder Cancer Society
Board of Directors - Treasurer/Secretary

& Caregiver

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne