incidence of BLC by States in 2008

15 years 2 months ago #24174 by kathyk
Replied by kathyk on topic incidence of BLC by States in 2008
Pat, you have to remember to occasionally let your brain rest! Kathy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 2 months ago #24169 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic incidence of BLC by States in 2008
talk about a can of worms!:P
healthservices.cancer.gov/seermedicare/considerations/methods.html
My brain just stopped working..........Pat

15 years 2 months ago #24168 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic incidence of BLC by States in 2008
According to the notes at the bottom of the chart, it is age adjusted.
"Rates are per 100,000 and age-adjusted to the 2000 US standard population"...

Also, in the notes at the bottom, with regard to skin cancer (and others), the study "excluded basal and squamous cell skin cancers and in situ carcinomas except urinary bladder."

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

15 years 2 months ago #24165 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic incidence of BLC by States in 2008
I remember telling my students that good research raises as many questions as it answers. Answering the questions leads to a deeper understanding. Actually, I remember telling them I'm more interested in your questions than your answers because it means you've read the research and question methods, data bases, etc. Great thread. Once again I see that the SEER data base was used with the modifier that it was age adjusted. Hmm I wonder what that means? Might lead to the point Ann brings up re: age of Maine residents. SEER data base is medicare patients - us old guys & gals.

Pat,keep those "cans of worms" coming. They are good worms! :)

Gordon

age 70
Dx 10/03
neobladder 9/4/04

15 years 2 months ago #24160 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic incidence of BLC by States in 2008
Geez...i opened another can of worms !! Initially i was just curious to see numbers and did not take into consideration the variables. I'll let you guys figure it out :blink:
We've got lots of Radon in Cinti also...one area in particular where my son lives and he's had testicular cancer...his wife has rheumatoid arthritis (in their early 30's mind you) and there seems to be a lot of breast cancer and non-hodgkins type leukemia there. A beautiful community but i wouldn't live there.
Pat

15 years 2 months ago #24156 by pemquid
Replied by pemquid on topic incidence of BLC by States in 2008
As a "Maina" (Maine resident) I knew that Maine has the highest cancer incidence rate per 100,000. No one knows exactly why, but one htought is that we also have the oldest average age in the country. I'd like to see age-adjusted incidence rates. There's los a high incidence of radon in Maine granite, and there's some suggestion that radon in people's homes may be a factor. (Radon testing is required for any real estate sale to go through, and there are ways to mitigate (by venting).

Ann

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne