My Mom is having her bladder removed on 8/30/10

13 years 8 months ago #33480 by sheri91360
Replied by sheri91360 on topic My Mom is having her bladder removed on 8/30/10
Thank you. This is what I really needed to hear.
Sheri

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 8 months ago #33476 by Patricia
i was having a problem posting earlier...my posts just went to a white page but i was able to send a PM to Sheri...what i mentioned was Pudendal nerve entrapment which can produce those symptoms and as i explained it may not be that but something to consider.
I'm a bit scared of the Kaiser system..i don't think they give you many choices....but the best in California is at USC/Norris in L.A.....you can pick any of them...they're all great..Dr. Indebir Gill, Dr. Sia Daneshmand, Eila Skinner(female)..
Dr. Gill
www.doctorsofusc.com/doctor/bio/view/110738
Pat

13 years 8 months ago #33475 by RAH
Sheri,
I am a male that has an Illeal Conduit. It is a piece of intestine that sticks out the side of the abdomen and then a adhesive pouch goes over the stormo with a collection bag attached to the pouch. I am 51 years old and am very active. Neither the pouch nor the bag prevents me from running, playing tennis or golf. If I was to bowl, I doubt if the location of the bag would be a problem if it was on the right side for a left hander bowler. When I went in for my diversion, they placed the blue dot in the best location that would be best for solid seal while sitting or bending. The pouch also needed to be clear of my belly button.
If your mom needs this type of diversion, it really doesn't prevent her from doing those activities she did before.

Keep being the positive influence to your mom.

Rick

13 years 8 months ago #33474 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic My Mom is having her bladder removed on 8/30/10
Sheri, wishing you and your mom the best! As for the vaginal/rectal issues, I had that and it seemed to be caused by my bladder cancer. When I was diagnosed with CIS, my urologist said that this could explain all my symptoms. When I was recovered from my first BCG series, those symptoms were GONE.

Don't know what Pat may have explained, but I understand that sometimes pain/discomfort is NOT where the problem is...but is sort of "reflected" from elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if your mom's issues were not due to bladder cancer.

And, I will only echo what Mike and several others have mentioned. A second opinion and an exploration of options for the bladder replacement would seem to be essential. Your mom will have the possibility of a long life, and the right choices now will make that long life a pleasant one!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

13 years 8 months ago #33470 by mmc
Well I suggest that you and your mom start asking some questions right away. Indiana pouch is often done for women her age and they do fine with it.

Another thing is that you want this surgery done at the best place possible from the top doctors.

Maybe they are suggesting ileal conduit because it's the only thing they can do. Urinary diversions have come a long way in recent years. She should go to someone who does them every week, week in and week out. At least 50 a year is the minimum number she should accept.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 8 months ago #33468 by sheri91360
Replied by sheri91360 on topic My Mom is having her bladder removed on 8/30/10
Hi Mike,
I really don't know much. Mom had a bladder tumor removed seven years ago that was cancer. Had BCG treatments and has been clear for seven years. My guess is that because she belongs to Kaiser and that she is 75 years old they will do the cheapest easiest procedure for them. My mom is in EXCELLENT health. Doesn't smoke, drink, is not over weight. As mentioned she still works on her feet all day as a department store model. She is beautiful. She has had phone calls from friends of friends saying that they have the internal bag (again sorry I don't know the terminology). I asked Mom how old are they and she said that everyone she talked to is in their early 50's. I think that makes a difference to t he Doctors. They are young and think 75 is old.
Thank you Mike,
Sheri

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne