If you are flexible and pre-op stuff (like the EKG etc) can be done or maybe not required depending on what the protocols are, you might tell them with a days notice you can be ready in case of a cancellation. Those do happen more than one thinks.
DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
When you talk to the nurse, you might ask why the surgery is scheduled for November 9 and ask if there is any way that can be moved up. Waiting and the unknown are rough and scary.
Best wishes (from a fellow caregiver),
thank you for the kind words and suggestion. Is it normal to wait so long for a biopsy (2 months)? Seems that could have been done with the cytoscopy. Urologist seems set on just going in and taking out what ever she can without a complete diagnosis.
Jen, It sounds like your family has had a long journey with cancer. I am sorry you have to be here but welcome.
As for as to the extent of the surgery there is no one except his surgeon that can answer that. Call his nurse and ask her if she can get the information for you. I would ask her what the surgery would entail and about after care. We are here if you need us. And don’t forget to take care of yourself.
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago#55958by JenJungle
No biopsy yet which we find difficult to understand.
He already has Stage 4 prostate cancer diagnosed in 2002. No surgery, no radiation - only hormone treatments. So he still has his prostate. He was not expected to live this lone - was actually given 6 months in 2002/2003. Doctors suspect this cancer is independent of the prostate cancer. He has large mass at the base of the bladder and turmors on the walls and into the prostate. This was found with scans and cystoscopy on Oct 9. He is scheduled for some kind of surgery on Nov 8 but we are not yet sure what to expect. We suspect it is the TURBT and that is when the dr will do a biopsy. We are afraid that the surgeon will just go ahead with a more invasive surgery while in there. Is this a reasonable fear???