LillianG, Thank you so much for the overview of your journey (I hope the good news continues). This is exactly the type of information that helps me form some expectations. I hope to hear about my path report within the next couple of days. Best wishes, Marian
I also had a large tumor removed May 28 2015. Mine was high-grade, so they did a second TURB on July 9 to verify that they got it all, and that they staged it correctly as non-invasive. I also had my slides sent to Johns Hopkins for a second opinion and concurrence on the pathology. My 6 induction BCG treatments started August 27 and ended September 30th. My followup with my 3-month cystoscope was December 3rd. All looked good and the lab results from the wash came back with no evidence of cancer. I've received no maintenance treatments (yet), but I do expect to discuss the treatment path with my doctor when I have my second cystoscope next week.
I hope this helps,
5/2015 4x2cm HG Ta Papillary TCC; 6 initial BCG followed by 3 sets of BCG maintenance. Ten scopes - all NED. Now at scope 1x year.
Thanks Sara Anne. The pathology report is not yet in, and I will press for an appointment as soon as possible after that is completed. I did notice your location and wondered if you have any experience with the folks at OHSU. I am also an Oregonian.
IF you are going to be receiving BCG treatments, the wait between TURB and treatment is usually at least six weeks. This is necessary because the wound in the bladder from the biopsy needs to heal completely. However, there is usually an appointment after the biopsy results come back to discuss these and outline a plan of treatment with you.
Have you discussed with the urologist what the TURB/biopsy showed? It usually takes about a week or 10 days for the results to come back from the laboratory. If not, you might want to call and request a copy of the pathology report.
Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
I would like to know how long you have had to wait from initial diagnosis (e.g., cystoscopy) to first treatment (TURBT) to subsequent treatments (BCG, chemo, other surgery). I had a large (4 cm) tumor removed last week, and when I called for a follow-up appointment I was given a date 6 weeks away. I can't imagine having to wait that long to learn what might happen next. Any help you can give me about these types of timing issues would be so greatly appreciated.