My TURBT is scheduled for next Monday, went for the preliminaries Friday. They did blood work, chest x-ray, and had me meet with the anthologist. So, by this time next week I'll be headed off to the hospital. Blood in the urine has re-occurred for me. I had some minor bleeding 2 weeks ago and some heavy bleeding last week, but it has stopped now. I was working out of town last week and staying in a hotel, so I had to give my wife a daily "Pee Report" via Email.
I want to thank everyone that has responded, it is difficult for me to be patient because I have so many questions and no one will speculate on what I can expect until after the TURBT. I don't even know if I should expect to go home with a catheter or not ... guess I'll find out next week.
The best piece of advice anyone gave me with my husband's bladder cancer is find the very best uro available to do the surgery. The initial tumor removal is critical. All uro's not created equal. Ask how many TURBTS they do per year.
I agree with the others that visible blood does not correlate with severity of disease.
I don't think amount of blood seen correlates with size or number of of tumors. I had what seemed like a lot of blood to me, even some clots, several times in one day, and then nothing after. The tumor ended up being quite small, and fortunately low grade. I had a recurrence a couple of years later, spotted on my regular 3-month cystoscopy, but had no bleeding that time.
Best of luck.
Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.
Agree with Sara.
Stress is correct, they found "something". The course of action seems correct, and it could or could not be a 'big deal'. The biopsy will help determine your situation, and yes, you have to wait again for those results. Which will determine how to proceed with your #2. More than likely, a 2nd TURBT would be scheduled. If you're in a 'hurry' for all this, follow Alan's advice and seek a different Uro for a quicker TURBT. That 2nd opinion is probably more worthwhile, after the 1st TURBT and results are in. Each patient is different, and you'll need to get the specifics for YOU. Don't evaluate yourself on numbers and percentages.