Living with BC

17 years 7 months ago #988 by cta7978
Replied by cta7978 on topic Living with BC
Whit,

I'm an aerospace engineer, so since I usually sit on my butt all day, I really haven't had any adverse physical effects from my TURB, cystoscopies or BCG treatments that have affected my job. I have had plenty of mental effects from the cancer and the treatment, but those are subsiding now.

Chris

Chris A.
Diagnosed T1G3 - 3/01/06
37 yo, Seattle, WA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 7 months ago #987 by rentanag
Replied by rentanag on topic Living with BC
Whit,

I remember my feeling frozen in time during the period between my diagnosis and my eventual RC, which seemed like a much longer time but was actually about six weeks.  I did spend a great deal of that time researching my disease/situation so as to make an informed decision as to what course of treatment was right for me.
However, within about two or three weeks I had come to the realization that no matter what happened with me regarding this cancer I knew I would handle it and I also knew I would survive it (positive thinking is very strong medicine).  Something that helped to put me in that frame of mind was a particular song I had heard a month or two previous to my diagnosis, and that song was YOU RAISE ME UP by Josh Groban.  I bought the CD after hearing it and I listened to it over and over again, although I didn't know why I kept listening to it, it was something I knew I had to do (listen to that song).  Soon after being told I had bladder cancer I realized that song was what was helping me feel strong, and I continued listening to it at an obsessive rate for quite some time after that.  I still listen to it, but not so much as back then, and it does still have the same power over me as it did previously.  They are very simple yet powerful words that I believe could be appreciated by many for the same reason I came to appreciate them (the words and the song).
By the way, Whit, where is Cedarburg?  I was born and raised in Beloit Wisconsin, and although I haven't lived there for many years I still have family in that area.
Just keep on hanging in there and it will become easier, it's just a matter of time and each persons journey will be a little different, so be patient with yourself and maybe delegate some of that work of yours to others until you get back on your feet (emotionally).

God Bless,

Lou

17 years 7 months ago #985 by Whitlo
Replied by Whitlo on topic Living with BC
Chris,
What do you do for a living?

17 years 7 months ago #983 by cta7978
Replied by cta7978 on topic Living with BC
Well, I went through about 3-4 months of depression/obsession trying to get a handle on whether I was going to die or get an RC from bladder cancer.  I totally immersed myself into understanding the disease and the associated statistics.. I did almost nothing at work during that time, luckily it was a bit of a slow period.

Now, 5 months after my diagnosis with T1G3 bladder cancer and 5-6 weeks since my clean 3 month checkup I feel more confident that maybe I am going to beat the disease and am enjoying the summer, my family and life in general.
I'm also starting to get a little more motivated at work as well..

Chris A.
Diagnosed T1G3 - 3/01/06
37 yo, Seattle, WA

17 years 7 months ago #981 by Whitlo
Living with BC was created by Whitlo
OK, I have a question.

Since my diagnosis my life has had to go on and I have had to deal with things as if this never happened. I am in the music business and produce festivals. This is my busy time of year.

So What I'm getting at is what do all of you do? Has this affected your work situation? I know that we all cannot just sit around and bemoan our luck, so how do you live with BC.

Whit

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne