After Surgery

17 years 8 months ago #854 by cta7978
Replied by cta7978 on topic After Surgery
Did he say "Stage 1" or "Grade 1"... big difference. If your tumor(s) was Stage 1 (T1) I would suggest seeing another urologist for a second opinion and getting some further treatment prior to October.

Tumor stage reflects how far the tumor has invaded, Tumor grade reflects the aggressivness of the cancer. A grade 1 tumor is not very aggressive, so it is possible you have your terms mixed up. It would probably be reasonable for your urologist to schedule a follow-up appointment in October for a superficial (T0- Ta) low grade (G1) tumor. If your tumor was in fact Stage 1 (T1), those tumors are usually more agressive grades (i.e. G2 or G3) that require further treatment.

Just my opinion.

Chris A.
Diagnosed T1G3 - 3/01/06
37 yo, Seattle, WA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 8 months ago #853 by Whitlo
Replied by Whitlo on topic After Surgery
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. For pain I'm taking Oxycodone I was taking an anibiotic as well but am no done with those. My Dr. Said the tumors were stage 1 ? We did the surgery I was in a foley cath for about 12 hours Then he took it out and sent me home. Said that I could not lift anything and could go back to work. I work at Summerfest in Milwaukee, an 11 day music fest along the lines of Bumpershoot. I just had to drink lots of water an walk well thats easy to do at a festival. And that I should come in to be scoped in Oct. My primary Dr. says that the pain med and nicotine withdrawal are causing the constipation. I just want to fell good again as I'm sure we all do.

Whit

17 years 8 months ago #852 by cta7978
Replied by cta7978 on topic After Surgery
Whit,

Make sure your taking Pyridium or something else for the pain upon urinating (it turns the urine a pretty neon orange color), there is also another drug for the pain that turns your urine blue.  I think I was pretty sore for about 2 weeks after the TURB (tumor removal).. I'd say I was pretty much healed up after 3-4 weeks.

Good that you quit smoking, I believe that is the most important thing you can do to help prevent further recurrances.

There are some here that believe that certain foods/vitamins will help prevent recurrances as well.  I know that a couple of studies were touting broccoli among other vegetables as beneficial.   Someone here (maybe Rosemary?) can give you the list.  There was also a study that beer could actually help prevent bladder cancer, thats the one I choose to believe in.

What was your tumor grade/stage?

Chris A.
Diagnosed T1G3 - 3/01/06
37 yo, Seattle, WA

17 years 8 months ago #850 by Whitlo
After Surgery was created by Whitlo
Hello all,
I am so very new here. I am 49 and was diaagnosed 0n 6/20 with bladder cancer. I had surgery on 6/27, my Doc. removed two superficial tumors. I was a smoker, I have now quit since the diagnosis. My question is this since the surgery I have been constipated and ache in the bladder area peeing hurts sometimes a BM hurts more and now I can even do that without laxitives. I want to feel better How long after surgery does one start to feel better? Also are there any foods that I should be eating? that will help

Thank you in advance.
Whit

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne