Long term outcomes

17 years 9 months ago #652 by cta7978
Long term outcomes was created by cta7978
So, I know the docs have been using BCG for 10-20 years now, and that has improved long term progression/recurrance free survival for many.

Myself, being in my mid-30's with a history now of agressive T1 disease (T1G3), I have sort of been wondering what the long-term implications fo having bladder cancer are for seomone my age.  

I realize that I have better chance than not  of a fairly good (relatively) 5-year outcome, but when I start looking at the 10 & 15 year studies it becomes pretty obvious that the disease specific survival curves don't really flatten out very well at the 5 year mark.

I mean I wonder if I really have a chance at being cured? Or for someone my age is it just a matter of time before it catches up to me.. Is an eventual cystectomy unavoidable?  Will my cancer progress or metastisize 5, 10 or 20 years down the line?

I mean I realize I have about a 10% chance of metastasis in the next 2 years anyway, even after they removed my tumor.  But I really want to be able to believe that if I make it to the 5 year mark without progression or recurrance that there is a good chance I'm cured.

I don't know of any 30 or 40-year survivors with T1G3 bladder cancer.  I mean I am sure that there were people in their 30's and 40's that had similar diagnosises to me back in 1965-1975.  Are any of them still alive?  Alive with their bladder?  Any on the BC Webcafe forums?

I'd be really interested in hearing from anyone with G3 superficial cancer that has gone 20 years without a recurrance/progression..

Chris A.
Diagnosed T1G3 - 3/01/06
37 yo, Seattle, WA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne