World Wide Shortage of BCG

4 years 1 month ago #58965 by petman
Replied by petman on topic World Wide Shortage of BCG
Alan,
Thank you very much for your response to my BCG shortage post.
Hearing from you is far better that statistics.
Petman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #58949 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic World Wide Shortage of BCG
Too many studies and too many protocols clutter our thinking! Also, many have their own "biases". Perhaps the most used is by Dr. Lamm and SWOG is 6 treatments followed by 3 at different times stretched out over 2 or 3 years. I have seen once a month for a year. Some people have such adverse reactions they can only tolerate 6,9,15 and have to stop. Most of the folks are still here. I have seen others including my URO with 6 then off 6 weeks then another 6 and that was it. 12 years later I am around and something else will probably kill me ....maybe my wife....a little levity here. Everybody reacts differently.

Chances are more than good you are in the clear being almost 3 years post. Keep your 6 month soon to go to 12 month appointments forever. The good news is should there be a recurrence you will get BCG! Go go on with your life which should only be better and more effective after this "experience"!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BadBladd

4 years 2 months ago #58948 by petman
World Wide Shortage of BCG was created by petman
I have not asked a question for quite a while.
I started my series of 3 BCG treatments and a follow up cystoscopy in March, 2017.
To date I have finished 5 series and 5 cystoscopies and have been cancer free.
I was scheduled for the start of a new series in December 2019, but was told by my doctors of a world wide shortage of BCG only manufactured by Merck and I could not have BCG any more.
I understand the rationale.
I was also told every 6 months I would have a cystoscopy and if the results were not good BCG would be resumed.
I did some research, which indicated that without continued use of BCG the chances of cancer returning is better than 50/50.
Have I read these studies correctly? Also, if you know of studies taking a contrary position, please let me know.
Petman

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne