High Grade - non invasive - BCG

4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #58849 by NelsJenn
Replied by NelsJenn on topic High Grade - non invasive - BCG
Dear Canadian1,

I believe I am at the same point in this BC process. I, too, went through two TURBT, six initial BCG infusions, followed by a cystoscopy which determined that I was cancer free, another three BCG infusions, and I am going to have another cystoscopy on Jan. 6th.

Congrats on your progress with this BC treatment process.

I am concerned about what I have been experiencing lately, and I am wondering if anyone had a similar experience. Below are the symptoms that I have been experiencing.

My urination frequency has increase (I urinate about 3-4 times a night), but the volume of each urination is about 4 oz/urination. If you add up the total volume, I suspect it would equal my normal amount of urination.

I am used to higher volumes of urination, and I don't believe this change in urination is due to dehydration. I have urine test strips, which measures specific gravity, and my SG reading falls between 1.010 and 1.020 which is normal.

Below are additional symptoms:

1. Blood in the urine - My urine test strip indicates no blood in my urine.
2. Pain/burning sensation during urination - I do feel a slight tingle while urinating. Pain level is 1 or less (on a pain range of 1 to 10).
3. Weak urine flow - My urine flow is on the weak side, but I can push and increase urine flow.
4. Urgency to urinate - When I feel the need to urinate, it is urgent even though I only expel 4oz.
5. Increased urination frequency - My urine volume per urination is low and my urine frequency is around 3-4 times per night.
6. Pain in the lower back or pelvic area - I don't have this symptom.
7. Fatigue - I don't have this symptom.
8. Swelling in the feet - I don't have this symptom.
9. Loss of appetite and unexplained weight loss - I don't have this symptom.

Has anyone experienced the above symptoms after your TURBTs and BCG infusions?
Is what I am experiencing side effects from the treatments or is it the BC becoming active again?

Bladder Cancer - Non-Invasive 2019
High Grade - T1
2 TURBT - 2019
9 BCG Infusions - 2019
Ureter Tumor Discovered - 2021

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 3 months ago #58842 by Canadian1
Replied by Canadian1 on topic High Grade - non invasive - BCG
Hello RJake1!
New Year is here ! how are you new resolutions going? :)
I do agree that there is no real correlation between exercise or lack of and BC. Keeping my body in as best shape as I can boosts my energy (lack of energy is the worst side effect I have felt following BCG). In turn, my emotional strength grows too. It works for me.

When first diagnosed it was total shock, denial of course. Nine months in, following TURB, first round of 6 BCG and second round of 3, I find myself not even thinking about it. Is this a positive sign or is this going back to denial? I would rather think that it is positive thinking.......

Good luck with your journey! WE CAN DO IT.....FIGHT.....

4 years 3 months ago #58791 by RJake1
Replied by RJake1 on topic High Grade - non invasive - BCG
Exercise is always a good thing so I am not knocking it, but is there any proven physical correlation between exercise (or lack of) and bladder cancer? Or, to put another way, is the advice to exercise more of a psychological tool in that the patient feels like they are in control and are taking the fight to the enemy? BTW, I am the world's #1 couch potato. New Year's resolution is to get away from TV and move, move, move!!

Thanks. Happy Holidays!

4 years 4 months ago #58762 by Canadian1
Replied by Canadian1 on topic High Grade - non invasive - BCG
To all "new members" and current ones, it is important to share our fears, our hopes, sad and good news . It is a journey no one wishes to start . Fortunately having reached out to this group made us part of a wonderful family; people who know exactly what you or someone close to you, are going through .

As the holidays season is just around the corner, I would like to thank you all for being part of my life by listening and being there for me.

On a positive note I have already started my second round of BCG and scheduled for cystoscopy Feb 20th. Will share my results.

Looking forward to 2020!

4 years 5 months ago #58591 by Regor
Replied by Regor on topic High Grade - non invasive - BCG
Congrats Ginette !

TURBT Jan 2019; Diag: CIS
Induction BCG (Mar 19) /Maint BCG (Aug 19)
TURBT Nov 2019; Diag: CIS
Repeat Induction BCG - Jan 2020 Complete

4 years 5 months ago #58590 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic High Grade - non invasive - BCG
Keep the good news coming!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne