Is Positive Cytology Normal after CIS TURBT?

5 years 1 month ago #57067 by SamXavier
Replied by SamXavier on topic Is Positive Cytology Normal after CIS TURBT?
Hi Jack,

Thank you very much for the prompt response. It is reassuring to see my mother’s treatment is following the standard procedure, as I was concerned about not seeing a 2nd TURBT. Will definitely discuss with her urologist particularly the results of the cytology.

She will be finishing her 1st 6-week BCG treatment in May with a Cystoscopy/Cytology to follow. Will keep the forum posted.

Thanks again and all the best,

Sam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 1 month ago #57065 by Jack R
SamXavier

It seems your mother is being treated according to standard practice, a good sign - BCG for high grade/CIS.

Properly stated, perhaps all VISIBLE cancer was removed at the TURBT. CIS can be hard to impossible to see; thus removal of all CIS at TURBT is unlikely. BCG is the recommended treatment for CIS and high grade papillary tumor.

Always talk to your doctor or care team about ALL concerns. They know her situation best, and need to hear all of your concerns.

Cytology is a screening tool, with both false positives and negatives. The doctor can explain the limitations and value of cytology. It is just one of the many tests to help decide treatment.

Best
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

5 years 1 month ago #57062 by SamXavier
Hello,
My mother was diagnosed with bladder cancer recently. TURBT was performed - CIS and papillary bladder tumor types both present and removed as a part of the TURBT (high grade non invasive as per pathology report).

Cytology test, 4 weeks after the surgery and prior to the BCG treatment, came positive with carcinma cells. This was really concerning. Why carcinoma cells so early after TURBT, if tumors were supposedly removed? Is this normal or expected with CIS?

Additionally, she is starting BCG. No 2nd TURBT was required as per URO. I have read in multiple places that a second TURBT in most casss has been done. But we are off to BCG directly...

Thank you.
———

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne