No alternatives to BCG?

5 years 1 month ago #57076 by chnayeri
Replied by chnayeri on topic No alternatives to BCG?
Sara,

I am trying to unsubscribe but do not see any tabs. Can you let me know please.

Thanks,
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 1 month ago #56995 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic No alternatives to BCG?
Please remember that any opinions you read here on the Forum are our personal opinions only; we are NOT doctors. That being clear, in my opinion if the irritation from your father's run-in with BCG is completely healed it should not cause any problems with additional treatments.

As you have probably read here on the Forum, as the treatments progress so do the side effects. Most of us had minimal side effects at the beginning but as the immune system gets "kicked up" (which is what we want to happen) the side effects increase. It is possible to reduce the dose of BCG as this happens....even 1/10th the original dose can be effective. I was at 1/3 by the time we came to the end. It is possible that your father may experience this sooner because of the irritation.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

5 years 1 month ago #56994 by Senter
Replied by Senter on topic No alternatives to BCG?
Thank you for the support. Luckily it seems that my father handled the last dose of BCG pretty well (with only minimal side effects).

I think the 1st time, the reason for all those side effects is because my father held the BCG for ... 5 hours.

The doctor told him he should hold it in for "at least" 2 hours. So my father, thinking the longer the better, held it in for 5 hours. I blame myself, I wasn't very involved at that point, if I was I would have done more research and given my father better instructions.

My question now is, could the 1st time done any permanent damage to my father's bladder? I asked a few doctors, they have differing opinions. The doctor that is actually seeing my father said no, but I feel he is trying to cover any blame he might have.

I've tried Googling it, but turns out there aren't really a lot of other people that held BCG longer than 2 hours.

5 years 1 month ago #56966 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic No alternatives to BCG?
There are other agents that can be used, BCG is seen as the most effective but others have shown good results in the right situation. If your father fails BCG a second opinion at a facility that does a high volume of bladder cancer might help to clarify your options.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

5 years 1 month ago #56962 by Senter
No alternatives to BCG? was created by Senter
Hey everyone.

My father was diagnosed with TaG3 papillary cancer. He did TURBT. A month later he did his first dose of BCG. He had a really high fever and was hospitalised for 2 weeks. If I understood correctly he ran the risk of becoming septic.

After that he was a little scared to do the 2nd BCG dose. Especially since the Urologist told him that if the 2nd BCG dose also had extreme side effects (and that it was quite possible he would), there's no really other options. (later he talked about cystectomy)

3 months passed after TURBT and they found CIS. They removed it as well (as I understand it, it was very small and very localised so they were able to excise it).

Tomorrow he is going to do another round of BCG (with half a dose this time).

My question is, if that fails as well, are there really no other options?

I'm reading here about Mitomycin C and Valrucibin, which sure, are less effective than BCG, but surely they are better than nothing.

Right?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne