All clear, almost 11 years now

5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #56869 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic All clear, almost 11 years now
Congrats! Yes, my URO said the same at 10 years last year. However, as Sara Anne said I may still keep annuals for peace of mind.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 2 months ago #56867 by jchammond
Replied by jchammond on topic All clear, almost 11 years now
Yay for you! This gives me so much hope reading this. I had a low grade found 12/17 had a TURB no treatment. Found my second 2/19. I keep saying I don't want to be a drain on hospitals doing this every 15 months. Your clear report for 12 years makes me feel like perhaps if I have treatment I can be the same.

Congrats!!!!

5 years 2 months ago #56866 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic All clear, almost 11 years now
Fantastic!!! Glad to hear your good news.

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

5 years 2 months ago #56865 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic All clear, almost 11 years now
More good news, Ann!!! I hope to follow in April....and I will keep up the annuals. It is a peace of mind thing for me.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

5 years 2 months ago #56863 by pemquid
All clear, almost 11 years now was created by pemquid
Just had my annual cystoscopy, and continue to have "unremarkable bladder." Yay for unremarkable! It's now been almost 13 years since my initial diagnosis, 11 years since my one (and only) recurrence, and all is well. I have a new urologist since we've moved to another city, and he had some interesting news about new guidelines for check-up frequency. He said that since I had small, low grade tumors, and the recurrence was several years after the intial tumor, that is now considered low risk by the new guidelines. He also mentioned the fact that I'd had the full course of BCG, though I'm not sure what, if any, influence that has on categorizing risk and check-up frequency. The new guidelines mean I could switch to cystoscopy every 2 years instead of annually if I'd like. My dad had bladder cancer (no recurrences), and I'm cautious, so told the doctor I'd stick with annual for now.

I'm glad to be joining my "cohort" here in remaining cancer-free.

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knifedealer

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne