Genetic testing to find out if BCG has worked?

5 years 7 months ago #55721 by Alan
arpegio2018,

It has been 10 years since I had a similar discussion with my doc. At that time his answer was "bladder cancer is simply not sexy enough to attract much research". I do believe it is slowly changing. MD. Anderson and Dr. Kamat and his group have done studies along the fringes of your subject. Frustrating isn't it, especially when BC is the #5 cancer.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 7 months ago #55717 by arpegio2018
Replied by arpegio2018 on topic Genetic testing to find out if BCG has worked?
Thank you, Jack.

Since I posted I received a short reply from Dr. Redelman-Sidi. He says " While we continue to work on this issue, we do not yet have a test to predict BCG success."

But more interesting, at a recent SIU Conference Dr. Kamat of MD Anderson made an outstanding presentation case for Gene Therapy when BCG is unresponsive. Here is the link:

www.urotoday.com/video-lectures/bladder-cancer/video/mediaitem/955-embedded-media2018-05-19-18-30-37.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: dtat60

5 years 7 months ago #55716 by Jack R
Arpegio

The Article you mention was first posted on-line one week ago (International Consultation on Bladder Cancer 2017). It is from a Springer publication, 'World Journal of Urology'. Only the abstract is available without cost. Springer lists the full article as purchase only at the present time.

From the conflict of interest disclosures, "This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors." The article is thus review in nature.

Your post mentions a Dr Glickman and a Dr. Bernard H Bochner. Dr. Bochner is one of authors of the article.

Dr. Gil Redelman-Sidi, MD is a researcher at MSCC in the Glickman Lab, his research page is at:
www.mskcc.org/research/ski/labs/members/gil-redelman-sidi
A list of his projects are on the site and may offer some insight.

Good luck in your research on cutting edge research.

Best,
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

5 years 7 months ago #55711 by arpegio2018
Dear Sara Anne,
1. This is the statement from MSK I was referring to. I have written to the three Drs. mentioned without response so far.
"Dr. Glickman’s laboratory is now collaborating with urologic surgeon Bernard H. Bochner to explore the clinical implications of this discovery — particularly, whether analyzing a patient’s bladder cancer cells can reliably predict his or her responsiveness to BCG therapy.
With the support of a grant from The Society of MSKCC, Dr. Redelman-Sidi is trying to develop a lab test that would analyze urine samples, which usually contain cancer cells shed from the bladder. These cells could be tested both for their tendency to take up BCG and also for the presence of BCG-activating, cancer-causing mutations.
“This would allow us to screen early-stage patients routinely before starting BCG therapy to make sure it’s the best course of treatment,” Dr. Glickman says."
2. Have you had access to this:
"Third International Consultation on Bladder Cancer recommendations for the management of non-muscle invasive bladder cancer (NMIBC)- 2017". It is not among the ABCS resources but it seems quite important and it is different than the Consensus Statement.

5 years 7 months ago #55663 by arpegio2018
Thanks. I have written them to ask several weeks ago and no reply.
Surely a fellow BCG traveller has similar questions. A lot has happened in this field in recent years.

5 years 7 months ago #55662 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Genetic testing to find out if BCG has worked?
I would suggest that you call or write to Sloan-Kettering and ask them this question .

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne