Interferon. Has anyone had good results?

4 years 3 weeks ago #59188 by swarmy2007
Replied by swarmy2007 on topic Interferon. Has anyone had good results?
I am doing the "Gemzar" Gemcitibine treatments after 4 TURBT with 6 weeks BCG each failing and getting ill on BCG. Always my T1-Hi Grade returned 3-6 month intervals on BCG but have passed 2 each 3 month cystoscopes followed by 3 weeks "maintenance Gemzar". BCG didn't work well me but so far Gemzar has..... or maybe a combo both finally came around to being effective who knows??? Good luck let me know if go on Gemzar for few we Hi Grades are using that is seems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinceD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 3 weeks ago #59186 by cltyxx
Replied by cltyxx on topic Interferon. Has anyone had good results?
Hi VinceD,

I just came back from a business trip. Sorry to hear the news.

I am curious about your Doctor's plan. I heard that there is still a shortage of BCG which might be why he chose Gemcitabine instead.
I remember about 2 years ago, BCG not working for me and I had to choose either BCG + Interferon or removal. Looking back, I feel lucky that I have choices. So I just go one thing at a time and enjoy each day...

Good luck and share your journey with us.

4 years 3 weeks ago #59178 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Interferon. Has anyone had good results?
BCG is the treatment of choice for most cases of CIS. Sort of think I might be with your doc on this one. Perhaps you should really probe his reasoning on why he prefers this....my doc loves to discuss (debate?) with me and I always feel better when I understand what his thinking is.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

4 years 3 weeks ago #59177 by VinceD
Replied by VinceD on topic Interferon. Has anyone had good results?
Just to give an update, the most recent biopsy came back positive for CIS. The only good news is that it is still only on the top layer and hasn't invaded the muscle. I was given the option of going back on another 6 weeks of BCG (encouraged by my doctor) or go on a course of Gemcitabine. I have to admit, I am not really that familiar with Gemcitabine, and the studies I have looked at would seem to indicate BCG is still the best route. I will check the forum for other experiences with it to see if it may be a better option.

My fear is that since it has come back, if whatever I choose this time doesn't wipe it out, the next step may be removal of the bladder.

Appreciate all of your support! Thank you,

Vince

4 years 1 month ago #59040 by cltyxx
Alan,

You guys are inspirational to me. Always great to see the detailed insight and etc. from this site and appreciate your encouragement...

Cltyxx

4 years 1 month ago #59039 by cltyxx
Prepare your questions beforehand. Better to have them answered by the doctors while in the clinic.
Good luck!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne